Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Circular saw preferences

1. There are many different ones you can get that will do the job well. If you don't intend to ever be far from an outlet when you're working, there's not much reason to go cordless - they're generally more expensive and can be less reliable. But here are the best I've tried and their prices:

- Dewalt DWE575SB ($100-$120)
    - Dewalt DCS575T2 FLEXVOLT ($300+)
    - BLACK + DECKER BDECS300C ($40)

The Dewalt DWE575SB in particular is light, easy to handle, and cuts very well. It also has a great safety stop feature that lower-end models don't have.

Thanks, Brent.

As I mentioned a couple posts up, I have 4 circular saws

Thanks, Van and Andy.

I did take a quick look at Pittsburgh CL and saw nothing and a couple of my many quirks are impatience and I hate buying some used stuff.

Van, I looked at those Dewalt and Makita and decided I didn't need a 5th saw.
    One of the things that attracted me to the EZSmart system was the flexibility of using multiple saws and not being married to one particular saw

I have an EZ Smart track and it's pretty good. One thing to note is that the depth of cut is limited to about 1.75". That may or may not be an issue for you.
    Also, it doesn't have dust collection. I happen to live close to the EZ Smart headquarters and 10 years ago they retro'd my circ saw for free.

Thanks for that info, Prashun.

It's good to hear validation on one's decisions.

They seem to have a pretty complete system where everything works together.

I was looking at their square and handle combo after seeing a video,

I better make something before I buy too many more tools

In my quest to see how many dumb questions I can ask...

Since I bought the EZSmart Track System that runs on (virtually) all circular saws (and I have 4 circular saws now) would it make any sense to consider buying a dedicated Track Saw down the road?

If so,what advantages might I see?
    Thank you

A dedicated track saw may provide potentially better dust collection; potentially better/smoother plunging; potentially easier/faster depth of cut setting. It may also be lighter in weight. The EZSmart system is about the best there is for using an existing circular saw for guided work and a designed-for-purpose track saw is just more optimized for the guided job.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

To what Jim said, add:

the Festool track saw will provide splinter-free cuts on BOTH sides of a sheet of expensive veneered plywood, can produce glue-ready surfaces and, by virtue of its plunge feature, is vastly safer to use and can start and start cuts anywhere on a panel.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Thank you, Jim and Andy.

After receiving and using my track, I'll evaluate and go from there

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Foster View Post
    Thank you, Jim and Andy.

After receiving and using my track, I'll evaluate and go from there

Buyers remorse should be organic, never ever chase it.

That said tracksaws are not designed nor built like a regular circular saw but are designed to live on a track, so they have advantages otherwise most of us with tracksaws would have just gotten Dino's Eureka Zone products. The tracksaw is one of classes (not quality) of tool that produced a paradigm shift in the way I work. The good ones aren't cheap so they take an initial leap of faith.

I would say put tracksaws out of your mind for the moment if the EZ Smart system doesn't meet you needs then revisit, if it does meet your needs then all is good.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

That's probably good advice, Van.

I just need shop time before I buy anything else.

It's amazing how many time stealers there are for a "retired" guy.

It's amazing how many time stealers there are for a "retired" guy.
    Oh do I hear you there brother!!! My time quit being my own ~ 7 years ago when I 'tired...

Anyhow back on track (groan - I know bad pun )
    I do have to say that one area my Festool TS55 EQ excels at is it's ability to stop at any point in a cut, remove the saw, then place it back on the track and finish the cut - and not leave any trace of that happening.
    My cordless Makita can't do that.

As you use a track saw more and more, you'll find that surprisingly often, you run into that. With the cramped space you have, you might run into that on a fairly regular basis.

Also - don't discount either the plunge feature or the riving knife (Festool) and lack of one (Makita). The riving knife is the only feature my Makita cordless lacks that would make it "perfect" for me.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Blog Entries
    This string is like asking do you like blondes, brunets, or read heads.

All of the above?

Ok - we had a break in the weather yesterday.
    Here's a few pictures I took of the cutting setup I rigged up.

The hinged 2x4 are supporting the one table & on the other table, I have the Veritas platform saddles. These things got a not so kind reception a few months ago when they were introduced.
    I find them an extremely valuable aid & well worth the $25 or so I have invested in them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon