Thread: Jimmy DiResta video of resto(modding) an early Delta 14" bandsaw

Jimmy DiResta video of resto(modding) an early Delta 14" bandsaw

It may say too much about me that I enjoyed a 16 min video about bandsaws on a Friday night, but I admit to enjoying it. Jimmy did make me cringe at 11:49 and I learned something possibly useful at 13:40 and I like the no finish finish, but it wouldn't last long in my climate.

The more I watch youtube videos the more I want a metal working shop...
    Last edited by Van Huskey; 08-18-2018 at 4:24 PM.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Blog Entries
    Fun stuff. Thanks!
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Interesting video, was it my computer or was there no sound? I thought it odd that after all that work (like machined brass knobs) the only finish seemed to be spray lacquer after assembly and a light switch not a paddle switch? I have essentially the same saw made in Canada and badged Rockwell. Mine was in much better shape when I got it and only required a minor restoration.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Interesting video, was it my computer or was there no sound? I thought it odd that after all that work (like machined brass knobs) the only finish seemed to be spray lacquer after assembly and a light switch not a paddle switch? I have essentially the same saw made in Canada and badged Rockwell. Mine was in much better shape when I got it and only required a minor restoration.
    It seems they had in mind a saw that would function like new but still had the look of an old saw. It reminds me of higher end "Rat Rod" builds. I have seen 1/4 million dollar plus rat rods with rust represented by paint. I found it a quite interesting build using things like the fabricated brass wheel cover knobs and the porcelain faucet knob on the guide/blade guard support. I would like to have seen the rear blade guard made from metal or at least some cool looking exotic wood. In the end if nothing else it is a different build, and likely will attack the sensibilities of some.

BTW there was/is sound but much of it is muted chipmunk sounds during the sped up portions which make up a lot of the video.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

BTW here is a resto of a 9" Duro that Eric from Hand Tool Rescue (the other guy in the first video) did.

Nice little bandsaw and I think I prefer the more traditional finish to the rat rod look of the Delta in the first video.

Jimmy's videos are entertaining and informative. You can also watch Hand Tools Rescue's view of the same restoration.
    which they called DiRestoration https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq800mkz5mE&t=65s