Thread: Bridgewood 511-ms shaper?

Blog Entries

Bridgewood 511-ms shaper?

Just picked this thing up at just about scrap price and I was hesitant even at that. It looks like it came out of the jet/grizzly/baleigh/laguna/powermatic factory in Taiwan. However I don't think any of those have a 320mm upper limit on tooling

Does anyone have and information or a manual from one of these?

It looks somewhat like a g8622 I have but with a lot nicer elevation setup and belt tension design.

IMG_20180817_161200_332.jpg
    IMG_20180817_161200_334.jpg
    20180817_153130.jpg

Does it work?
    It looks like a pretty nice machine, but then " back in the day" Bridgewood was selling some pretty nice equipment.
    It looks like it was used once or twice and the just pushed in a corner for a decade or so,
    320mm? What is that dimension
    indicative of?
    32.0 mm would be a 1-1/4 " shaper spindle.

Mike 320mm is about a 13" tool diameter capacity.........Rod.

Rod

Does a shaper that size tale a cutter that big?
    I've only ever worked with smaller shapers, and am not familiar with cutter heads that large. That would be a lot of rotational mass, and energy, at the blade.
    Still looks like a nice machine. I would have definitely grabbed it, if had been anywhere in New England.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    Does it work?
    It looks like a pretty nice machine, but then " back in the day" Bridgewood was selling some pretty nice equipment.
    It looks like it was used once or twice and the just pushed in a corner for a decade or so,
    320mm? What is that dimension
    indicative of?
    32.0 mm would be a 1-1/4 " shaper spindle.
    Not sure if it works. The shop I got it from didn't have 3ph (and they had this and a wide belt sitting unused for a couple years)

Story goes the owner was friends with the owner of the local lumber yard and mill shop and that's where the stuff original came from.

320mm would be 12.5" roughly. At best id think it maybe could swing a groover or saw blade that size. I don't think I'd be comfortable with tenon discs much past 180 or 200mm just from looking at the undercarriage.

Blog Entries
    In looking a bit more it looks exactly like the delta 43-792.

This might have gotten a bit more expensive for bearings as I believe the delta uses two 6010z and a 6009z bearings (I'm assuming abec 5)

I had one of those. It was solid and accurate. It ended up in the hands of another woodworker on this site. He probably has the manual and parts list for it.

shaper6.jpg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James Biddle View Post
    I had one of those. It was solid and accurate. It ended up in the hands of another woodworker on this site. He probably has the manual and parts list for it.

shaper6.jpg
    That's good the hear. Honestly if I could just find a parts diagram I would be happy.

As an aside I like that outboard setup.

That 511 designation was fairly common 15-20 years ago so you should be able to find comparables. I would classify it as medium duty- somewhere between Hammer and Felder F700. I'd keep cutters under 250mm unless thin and light. 60xx bearings are light duty but doubled up gives them a much higher load rating. I doubt they are anything higher than ABEC 3 if shielded on one side. SKF Explorer and remove one shield yourself. Usually cheaper that way. Dave

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    That 511 designation was fairly common 15-20 years ago so you should be able to find comparables. I would classify it as medium duty- somewhere between Hammer and Felder F700. I'd keep cutters under 250mm unless thin and light. 60xx bearings are light duty but doubled up gives them a much higher load rating. I doubt they are anything higher than ABEC 3 if shielded on one side. SKF Explorer and remove one shield yourself. Usually cheaper that way. Dave
    Thanks for the tip on the 511 designation and the bearing class. it looks like that model shaper is still available from a couple places.

I honestly bought it to steal the fence and feeder for the grizzly I have. I realized quickly how much better designed and built it is.

I rechecked three spindle once I got all the frozen spacers off. The base measures about .0005 runout. The top about .0035" I'm hoping it's just some dirt in the taper rather than a bent spindle. I'll have to pull it and check it between centers. The Bearings are still really gritty. I don't think this was maintaining all that well and the grease zerks were ignored.

The rust cleaned right off
    Attached Images Attached Images