Thread: Kitchen Drawer Organization

Kitchen Drawer Organization

Had been getting pestered for some time to create a knife organization block for a drawer in the kitchen. LOML doesn't like things on the countertop. And the daughters complained that the cork block we'd bought at a kitchen supply store smelled like mold.

Had some leftover pieces of Ironwood I wanted to use up, so last night I pulled the drawer out and started cutting. Perfection tends to elude me but I typically only get close after several tries. This didn't do too badly on the first. The knife box itself is removable so that when a better inspiration hits I can take it out and put in better inserts. I love working with the Ironwood (likely the American or Eastern Hophornbeam - or Ostrya virginiana) which is hard and once seasoned relatively stable. The stuff looked wretched and I think my sawyer simply gave it to me to get rid of it. It has especially nice grain and color and if sanded to a fine grit takes a finish beautifully. I glued in strips of white pine as separators and also as a soft landing for the knife blade edges. The partition blocks are screwed into the box from below, and the box itself is screwed into the drawer (from below).

The box is just long enough for an old Sabatier high carbon steel knife that was one of my father's favorites. I think he just liked saying the name. As a kid, it was my chore to keep all those carbon steel blades sharp (stainless hadn't been invented yet) using a round whetstone. Great practice as I think back on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Adamsen; 08-17-2018 at 1:42 PM. Reason: The invention of stainless
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Nice job. I can't see why you would want to replace it down the road. My wife doesn't particularly care for a big knife block on her new counters either. I guess I'll see if we have a spare drawer.

Well done Bill!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Very nice job Bill. This project has been on my « to do list » for a while. You have now provided me with an approach that is both practical and aesthetically pleasing ( and therefore no excuse for further procrastination &#128526.

I hope you will not mind people using your design.

Regards,

J

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques Gagnon View Post
    I hope you will not mind people using your design.
    I confess that at least part of the design (the ellipse) was not original to me either ... hope I didn't give the impression it was. A Google search brought up this design by a firm called Make(?) which I thought attractive. Half the motivation to build was so that I could throw away the photo. Knife blocks are pretty straightforward but getting boxes to fit inside drawers sometimes has its challenges. Frequently one needs to relieve the "box" ends to fit over the handle screw head, unless the builder used a flat head recessed screw. And the box needs to be removable to allow removing the handle.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Adamsen; 08-17-2018 at 4:36 PM.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

I like that a lot Bill. My wife also will not have a standing knife block. This is a good idea, and your version is an excellent design.

Regards from Perth

Derek

That's a really nice solution, Bill. Clean and does the job!

For the record, I don't permit this kind of stuff on the top of counters/the island, either. My knife drawer is even lockable due to a family member "with issues" who from time to time had been at risk at a younger age.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...