Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bed frame question

bed frame question

I'm building a queen size bedframe for my daughter who does not want to use a boxspring. I've read a number of different opinions on whether or not a center support is needed, slat width and thickness, plywood instead of slats, etc. The siderails are 1-1/4" poplar, about 7" wide

Any thoughts, advice would be appreciated

Thanks!
    Mike

Are you planning to use a sheet of plywood or maybe two panels of plywood instead of slats? If so, 3/4 in. plywood and no center support needed. Unless the mattress is quite thick, the bed will be very firm.

7" high side-rail is very substantial. If you plan slats with no box spring, you may find that larger than necessary. The good news is that it gives plenty of surface for a ledger that can support substantial slats. Slats of 5/4 material (5/4 x 4 poplar) work fine for a queen sized bed. I'd have to go measure but off hand I think spaced 4"-6" apart works fine. The spacing doesn't need to be consistent. The hips and shoulder probably could use a closer placement while the legs and feet need less support. I typically fasten only one or two of the slats to the ledger. If no box spring is used, I mount so that the slats are near the top of the side-rail so that it is easy to make the bed (tuck in sheets).
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Thanks for the quick replies. I don't have the material for the mattress support yet, so could go with either slats or plywood - from the comments it also sounds like either will be ok. The bed will be going into a 3rd floor apartment, which also may figure into things depending on how narrow the stairways are (no elevator). Probably easier to carry up a bunch of slats than partial sheets of plywood

I've made at least 5 platform beds so far. One has a continuous 3/4 plywood support. It is quite firm. My son and his wife like it OK but they like a different bed better. It has a even more rigid box structure I made to replace a box spring. The top is only 1/2 plywood but it has vertical wood supports of 3/4 plywood the same height as the old box spring. I think it is the design of the bed they like better, they both are rigid making the mattress firm. I slept on the bed they like for a couple decades, I can attest to the fact it is comfortable.

I think I like the bed I gave my daughter for a wedding gift best. It has slats of 3/4 plywood that are a foot wide. There is some give but not a lot. For one or two average size or smaller people, I think that is a good choice.

I also made a bed from Matthias Wandel's plans that call for slats of 2x3s spaced a couple inches apart. I've slept on it too, it is comfortable, the give is similar to the foot wide 3/4 plywood slats.

An advantage of the plywood slats is it is easy to make them a little over 5 feet wide so you can more easily tuck in the sheets.

I also built a double bed that is in my daughters guest room with slats of 3/4 baltic birch plywood. They are about 4 inches wide and spaced an inch or so apart. It is OK for one, but I think its a bit too soft with two adults.

So with that experience, my next bed will have slats a foot or so wide of 3/4 plywood. 2X slats work fine too but I get tempted to make them where there isn't adequate clearance for making the bed. If I was making the bed for people that are heavier than average, I would increase the slat width - maybe use 15 or 18 inch wide slats. They still will be easy to move. They can also be easily modified to be stiffer with a rib underneith.

I'm currently building my third bed, or fourth if you count bunk beds separately. Except for the twin size upper bunk bed (the lower is full size), I've included a center support on all of my projects just to eliminate any possibility of sag. The current bed project is queen sized (roughly 60 x 80 inches) and will include three horizontal supports to hold up the box spring. And because there'll be a box spring, I'm not including any additional slats for support. However, both the king and full size beds I did previously had center supports that locked into the head and foot boards. This locking is intended to prevent the support from being pushed up (presumably by a carpeted or otherwise uneven floor) higher than the side rail supports that the slats sit on.

I should have added that the three support members for the queen sized bed will have legs/feet that reach the floor--they're not just long slats.
    Last edited by Mike Ontko; 08-17-2018 at 3:11 PM.

Blog Entries
    A center support is absolutely needed.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I have heard that plywood is a poor choice. you want some air flow to the bottom of the mattress so it can dry out and not get moldy.
    Bil lD.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I have heard that plywood is a poor choice. you want some air flow to the bottom of the mattress so it can dry out and not get moldy.
    Bil lD.
    Sorry, that's a myth. Box springs do not provide air flow to the underside of the mattress, but no one ever expresses concern about box springs causing mold.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

Blog Entries
    Not a myth that they need air flow (I have no idea about the mold) it depends on the mattress. The manufacture will usually call out their required support.

Maybe I'm missing something, but why would flex in the bed frame be desirable? Wouldn't you want it to be as stiff and flat as possible? Any flexion would cause it to dip in the middle - I can't see how that would be comfortable...

To that end, I agree with Brian that a center support is necessary (unless you want to use quite thick slats). A center support is easy to build. I can't imagine many compelling reasons to avoid it.

I just finished 2 platform beds. One used 3" slats of 3/4" ply on 3" spacing. Nylon webbing is stapled to the slats so they can be rolled up for transport.

The other (a king size) uses 10" wide 3/4" ply panels, with a 3" section routed out of the middles (to reduce weight). These are locked into place with dominos. The routed middles make them easy to carry.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Not a myth that they need air flow (I have no idea about the mold) it depends on the mattress. The manufacture will usually call out their required support.
    I've had regular and foam type mattresses on our platform type bed with a solid plywood top for over 30 years and there has never been any air flow under the mattress and also no mold issues. It is supported in the middle and we have no sagging.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Lee, I’m not excluding plywood, instead I’m saying it depends because I know of at least one manufacturer that requires open support.

I`ve built plenty of beds and could never get a queen to not dish without some extra support. Usually this was just three equally spaced 1"×5" supports screwed to the bottom of a solid plywood support.

Check out Charles Neil's You Tube video for Bed Slats. He makes them in a I-Beam configuration, even points out they work on King size without a Center Support. Dan