Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What current music survive the test of time?

If pianos are still around in 100 years Chopsticks will be played. It's a song that's survived and will likely continue.

As for anything else we're too invested in the songs and music WE like to make any sort of of judgment. I don't see the future of long term music storage being all that bright, with digital formats that change and cloud storage that can turn to a clear sky leaving nothing.

I'll stick to the Detroit Symphony Orchestra Neighborhood Series. Plus even though my wife is friend of the family we still haven't been able to score Greta Van Fleet tickets. Even using the family code that ticketmaster assigned. Dang!

-Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Here's a monkey wrench. How popular would the classical music be if it wasn't subsidized, virtually all over the world? Would you ever hear it?
    I grew up in the Lutheran church which seriously relies heavily on its choir and pipe organ and German classical music. So institutions with cultural import carry music into the future. I am sure from that standpoint, we can find similar examples from our own experience.

Here's a monkey wrench. How popular would the classical music be if it wasn't subsidized, virtually all over the world? Would you ever hear it?
    Probably not, assuming you are referring to various professional Orchestras like the Boston Pops by "subsidized". I suspect high school orchestras and various local "volunteer" orchestras would still play it. But you'd hear it less frequently and any professional CDs would cost a lot more (fewer orchestras).
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 08-20-2018 at 1:47 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

That was my point. Even the radio stations that play it are usually public. School orchestras are fighting a losing battle against budget constraints.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

That was my point. Even the radio stations that play it are usually public. School orchestras are fighting a losing battle against budget constraints.
    You're right Mike.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I don't doubt that there are fewer orchestras. But with modern recordings we don't need as many. Doesn't matter what the source of the support is as long as the checks are good. There are even community orchestras that often play to sparse audiences, and receive little if any support.

Blog Entries
    There are, I think, certain persons that have the ability to create work that appeals to both sides of the brain. Who these people are I am not qualified to list. However, I do believe Bob Dylan is among them.
    For that reason I think some of his work will endure.

Blog Entries
    Someone suggested this was only for current releases? My feeling was it was about what people listen to currently they feel will be around for another 100 years.

If one wants a list of contemporary music that will survive the next century, my opinion is for zilch. Most of the time my music is listening to music from the iPod. Haven't heard much new stuff that interests me. A few movies have some interesting music that has actually been purchased to put on the iPod:

https://peterhollens.com/legendary-v...drinking-song/

This is an old tune being sung currently and will likely be sung for another century if not two.

Then there is the argument of Pachelbel's Canon in D. Some say a lot of contemporary tunes are derived from it.

Then there will always the spiritual and etherial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT5u2xVEO5M

Some things will always make the heart beat a little faster or the soul feel a little calmer.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 08-20-2018 at 6:40 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Ah music...highly subjective! I graduated in the late 80s when Hair Metal was all the rage but nothing really ever grabbed me as much as the late 60s and 70s rock and Led Zeppelin ruled them all for me. So much great music came from those times IMO that I just don't see how it will ever go away. I could jot down a few more name but then more will pop into my head and I'll be here for hours writing them down. At least I have an easy number one for me and I'll just leave it at that!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Know what else I like listening to, that I haven't for quite awhile: Movie soundtracks--

Thomas Newman is one of my favorites, "American Beauty" is when I started paying attention to his music.. And many others, John Williams, Jerry Goldsmith, Randy Edelman, Danny Elfman... Making movie music is definitely a step up from banging out love songs --

Remember "Thief" with James Caan? The opening 9 minutes is an intense edge-of-your-seat ride- unless you turn the sound off! The music, as simple as it is, IS the intensity. Turn it off, and it's a guy sitting in a car, a guy playing with some wires, and a guy drilling a hole- kinda like a typical day at work!

Being able to write music that defines a good movie, now that's an art

========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Know what else I like listening to, that I haven't for quite awhile: Movie soundtracks--

Thomas Newman is one of my favorites, "American Beauty" is when I started paying attention to his music.. And many others, John Williams, Jerry Goldsmith, Randy Edelman, Danny Elfman... Making movie music is definitely a step up from banging out love songs --

Remember "Thief" with James Caan? The opening 9 minutes is an intense edge-of-your-seat ride- unless you turn the sound off! The music, as simple as it is, IS the intensity. Turn it off, and it's a guy sitting in a car, a guy playing with some wires, and a guy drilling a hole- kinda like a typical day at work!
    Can't believe you left Hans Zimmer off that list. Trevor Rabin (from Yes among others) has also done a ton of film scores.

Just watched "Thief" the other night...I'm a big Michael Mann fan, but I'd forgotten that Tangerine Dream did the sound track. (For those who haven't seen the film, think of it as the prototype for "Heat".) You also might want to grab a copy of "Sorcerer": William Friedkin used them for that soundtrack and noted that, if he had heard of them soon enough, they probably would have been used for "The Exorcist" instead of Mike Oldfield.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Young, Dylan, Van Morrison, Paul Simon, merle, waylon, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Hilbert Jr View Post
    There are some pieces of music I feel are among the greatest of all time. Beethoven's Ode to Joy is near the top of the list for me. I was listening to it when my wife came out from work and she immediately switched it to some easy listening show with John Tesh. Hey, what I was listening to has been loved by countless people for centuries. In 50 years no one will remember the stuff he plays on his show. She rambled on about some current artists, and how she thinks their music might be remembered. Gershwin is getting to the century mark, some of Irving Berlin's songs are still going strong at 80 years. Radio stations still play Elvis regularly.

So, who and what music will be remembered in 100 years? Not just because you currently like it, but point out what "staying power" you think it has.
    Probably Laibach, Opus Dei (Life is Life). When the fallout shelter doors eventually open again, and people crawl out into the new world, full of hope, that is what will be playing from every speaker.

========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

The me too movement turns its back on every one who may have even made a crude joke, but many of them revere Jackson with his shady history with children. Just an observation.