Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What current music survive the test of time?

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    INteresting question with no real answer.

Much how Glen thinks of the 6th the choral of the 9th should stir anyone with a heart beat, and possibly some without, kinda like the one lyric in the Stones' Start Me Up.

Well played, sir.

bricks.jpg

I live in a country that believes this is art worth several $100,000's, when it comes to music...we are without all hope
    You did what !

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    INteresting question with no real answer.

I do agree Beethoven's 9th may be the greatest piece of music ever written and the impact with a full orchestra and choir may be the most impactful.
    There are those who say Beethoven is cliche & get too much play, but that's just not so. There's a very good reason why it gets played so much. I've seen the 9th in concert with full chorus twice & would happily do so another 100 times. But that would take too much time away from so much other tremendous music, old & new, & of all genres.

What do you consider "current" from a time frame point of view? A lot of the responses so far include music that is decades old, rather than "current" from a chronological standpoint. There's a lot of really good music being created in the present time period. Only time will tell what will be considered iconic in the future....it's a moving target!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Charles Mingus is, to me, the most vital on the jazz scene, nothing is dated about his classic recordings. Lou Reed's post Velvet Underground work is individual and moving. Aretha Franklin and Nina Simone could both sit at the piano and rip your heart out. My guilty pleasure is Kate Bush and her rare releases. As a listener to WFMU, there is so much fabulous music that goes unappreciated, just keep listening.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    bricks.jpg

I live in a country that believes this is art worth several $100,000's, when it comes to music...we are without all hope
    The UK? Without hope??? No way! The musical legacy for the modern era, the last 50-60 years at least, has it's roots deeply imbedded there.

When I put Zappa on my list. It was not for the titles, or lyrics, of his songs. It's the music on the sheet. Take away all of the vocals, and he produced some very complex compositions.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Define "current" and keep one thing in mind. It's all subjective and there is no definitive measurement for music or quality of music. It's merely a matter of taste/opinion. I'm stuck in the '60s and early '70s if that is considered "current". If not, I'm still stuck in the '60s and '70s rock scene.

I'll take issue with my friend Mike Cutler. If you had been playing gigs for 2 years with a majority of the music being Chuck Berry hits, you would have more respect for the Beatles and appreciation for what they did for rock music. I was so damned tired of playing Johnny B Goode!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

From the 20th Century?
    Some sort of jazz (Bix?)
    Some sort of big band (Glenn Miller?)
    Sinatra (As long as we males have egos, someone will still be playing "My Way".)
    Lennon & Mccartney love songs

Oh. And don't write-off DEVO yet.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Elvis, Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee, Mickey Muster, Fats Domino, and most any 50's - 60's Rock'n roll. Love um, along with Boogie Woogie music. Google Heneri's Boogie, and see how many times it has been viewed. I like "In the Mood." There is a version by a group of actors name "Swing Girls." It's from a Japanese movie about a group called Swing Girls

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    The UK? Without hope??? No way! The musical legacy for the modern era, the last 50-60 years at least, has it's roots deeply imbedded there.
    I absolutely agree. I loved the London Olympics' closing ceremony, when the UK reminded the world of their significant contributions to Rock-n-Roll. "The main part of the evening featured a one-hour symphony of British Music as a number of British Pop acts appeared. Tributes to John Lennon and Freddie Mercury and the fashion industry were included in the section." (Wikipedia)
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post

I'll take issue with my friend Mike Cutler. If you had been playing gigs for 2 years with a majority of the music being Chuck Berry hits, you would have more respect for the Beatles and appreciation for what they did for rock music.
    Ken
    No worries, The Beatles will always have their place in the history of rock and music. Which will always be at the top. Their songs will last a long, long time.
    My comments were directed more at the actual complexity of the music itself, and would there be enough in 100 years, that would still interest people to the point that it inspired them. Not the words, just the musical score. I've never cared, or really listened to the words in songs. It was always the technical with me.
    The actual musical compositions of the Beatles were/are very simple. I had a lot more trouble learning Al DiMeola.
    As a musician, guitar and bass, there are a lot of folks that people just never realized how talented they were, because they didn't learn to play their work.
    I'll tell you a secret. Glen Campbell was a helluva of a guitar player. He was a virtuoso. Most people today just know him from True Grit, if they know him at all.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    I'll tell you a secret. Glen Campbell was a helluva of a guitar player. He was a virtuoso. Most people today just know him from True Grit, if they know him at all.
    Glen Campbell, James Taylor, and Stephen Stills are probably the three most underrated guitar players of recent vintage.
    (Almost said "living"...for some reason, I keep forgetting Campbell is dead.)
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Last edited by Kim Gibbens; 08-17-2018 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Picture didn't work

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    I go next week to a Judas Priest concert. (with Deep Purple )
    Priest has been going strong for 50 years.
    Way back in the 1980's I dated a girl whose uncle owned a luxury bus, and he drove for all the big names at the time: Journey, the Stones, Sade, Janet Jackson... And one day I was visiting him and he was very worried because he was going to drive Judas Priest on a tour. After the tour I asked how it went and he said they showed up in suits and were the most professional and polite group he had driven for.

By the way, what led to me breaking up with the girl was we were watching TV and the news was on and they said that the Rolling Stones were on tour (The Steel Wheels American Tour). I said, "aw man, that's one concert I would love to see," and she said, "Oh, Charlie is driving for them and asked if we wanted to come see them, but I didn't think you liked them so I told him no." You... You... You ddddidn't think I liked them? Who doesn't like the stones? We broke up shortly after.

Blog Entries
    Are we only talking about modern music? Would that be today's modern music or the era itself, for which really the 1950's are a big turning point?

I will stick to only current artists:

Jewel's "Pieces of You" album will be timeless.
    U2
    Jack Johnson
    Destra (Soca artist)

...but right now the most timeless voice on the planet is Andra Day.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hmHfo_3EGFA
    Last edited by Malcolm Schweizer; 08-18-2018 at 6:45 AM. Reason: better video