Thread: Jet 1442 lathe

Jet 1442 lathe

I'm having motor issues with my older Delta lathe, so looked on craiglist and saw this Jet 1442 for $1,000

losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/tls/d/jet-1442-wood-lathe/6673065684.html

Is this a good lathe, and is this a fair price?

For the most part I turn simple legs for stools and tables.

thanks, Mark
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 08-19-2018 at 7:29 AM.

The bed and legs seem to be the same heavy ones that are used on the Jet 16" lathe. I wouldn't use the extension that's on the banjo. This lathe uses an inexpensive Reeves drive, which I don't this is as nice or as reliable as the electronic variable speed used in their 16" lathe and mini/midi lathes. I don't really know if that's a fair price, though it does seem a little high to me. If you're just turning spindles you might look at Jet's 10" or 12" mini lathe with the bed extension. I think they're still available with step pullies or electronic variable speed. Either works fine, though once you've used EVS there's no going back.

--Geoff

Looking at the picture of the motor plate indicates this lathe was made in 2005. It has a Reeves drive to give variable speed. These can be problematic and parts are hard to find. Think the price is high.

Well thanks guys, I'll pass on this one.

Can you recommend a lathe that I should look out for?
    I'm not keen on a mini lathe with a bed extension, I turn the occasional bowl.

thanks.