Thread: Cutting a 1/4" solid carbide tool in half

Cutting a 1/4" solid carbide tool in half

I know carbide is brittle and very hard but is there a way a woodworker with typical tools could cut a 1/4" diameter solid carbide tool like the one pictured below in half? What would happen if I took a metal cut off disc on my 4.5" grinder to it?

index.jpg
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Try a Dremel diamond cutoff blade. Diamond stones will sharpen carbide so the blade should cut it.

Most carbides have a hardness between 90 and 93. It will be difficult at best to cut this

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin Hasenak View Post
    Try a Dremel diamond cutoff blade. Diamond stones will sharpen carbide so the blade should cut it.
    I have cut some of my carbide gravers using a diamond disk (Dremel type), but creating a groove all the way around, then place the bit in a good solid vise, wear eye protection, and smack with a hammer side ways. It will shear from groove to groove, and be a little coars on the new break.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

If you only have one of these to cut, I think a die grinder with cutoff wheel would work . . .eventually. If you attempt it, don't start unless you have a couple of extra cutoff wheels on hand.

Wayne

Ditto what Mark said. I cut carbide and HSS bits by scoring all the way around with the Dremel and then breaking them. Put them in a vice and put a cloth over them. Then grab them and break or hit it with a hammer. The cloth keeps things from flying all over and/or hitting you.