Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY Ornamental Turning Device Completed

DIY Ornamental Turning Device Completed

Over the last week or so, I have made a couple of inquiries on this forum hoping to find some kind of ornamental turning device that can be placed and used on a woodturning lathe. I was intrigued by a device called the JaHo Ornamental Turning Device made by a company in Germany. (I should point out that this is not a Rose Engine.) They have an interesting YouTube demonstration of the device here. Following some very helpful responses to my SMC inquiry, I elected to replicate the device myself as it is not all that involved.

I made some alterations from the JaHo making the device easier to use. Don Bunce offered up the notion of using a spin index to hold the spindle adapter rather than the rotary table of the JaHo. This was a great suggestion as the spin index is very easy to use and more importantly, its’ position is totally repeatable. Thanks, Don! Don also suggested using a Lee Valley adapter that would be placed in the spin index’s 5C collet and would supply the 1 ¼”x 8 tpi threaded adapter I needed to accept my chucks. The Lee Valley spindle adapter is actually designed to be used with their carving stand – a fact that had some repercussions that I only discovered later. After the initial assembly of the entire device, I took it for a test run. It quickly became obvious that I had some major runout issues – at the end of a 4” workpiece the runout was .079”! The spin index had no runout whatsoever. I isolated the runout to the Lee Valley adapter. The shank of the adapter ran true with no runout as it exited the 5C collet, so I figured it had to be the threaded portion. Closer inspection revealed that these were actually two distinct pieces of metal and it appeared that the two pieces were press fitted. This explained the runout. Had I been a bit more astute, the fact that this was designed to hold a chuck for carving work would have raised a red flag for me. It was never intended to be used in a high precision application. DUH!

So I found a machine shop about 45 minutes from the house. I drove out there with the Lee Valley spindle adapter, explained my dilemma and had them mill up a duplicate (but with the precision that I needed). 7 days later I picked it up from the machine shop. I placed it in the collet and threaded a chuck with workpiece on to it. No visible signs of runout at all when placed close to the cutter and no need to put a dial indicator to it. It was indeed the press fitted Lee Valley spindle adapter that was at fault. No disrespect for Lee Valley. I was attempting to use it in a totally different manner than intended. My error, not theirs.

Here are a couple of photos of the device for those who might be interested as well as the results of my first attempt at using it.

IMG_2483.jpgIMG_24822.jpgIMG_2460.jpg
    Last edited by Glen Blanchard; 08-17-2018 at 12:02 AM.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Excellent job, that thing looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin Hasenak View Post
    Excellent job, that thing looks great.
    Thanks, Marvin. I appreciate your willingness to help!
    Regards,

Glen

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Blanchard View Post
    Thanks, Marvin. I appreciate your willingness to help!
    Next time we go to the Fort Worth area I may give you a call.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin Hasenak View Post
    Next time we go to the Fort Worth area I may give you a call.
    Please do! I'll send you my cell #.
    Regards,

Glen

Great job! I like the way you mounted the rotary table under the XY table. Much more convenient to angle the work into the cutter than to rotate the entire unit.
    Welcome to the world of ornamental turning. Keep us posted on your progress.

I am interested in the cross slide, it looks fairly high quality. Can you point me to the source?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Ford View Post
    I am interested in the cross slide, it looks fairly high quality. Can you point me to the source?
    Dennis - It's actually just a hobbyist-level cross slide made by Proxxon. Here's the link on Amazon. Thus far, it would seem to meet my needs but I don't have lots of time in this yet. I tightened the gibs a bit yesterday to assure there would be no vibration during use. The one thing I really like about the Proxxon slide is that it has indicators on each knob that can be readily zeroed out making it quite easy to get back to that exact spot. I'm sure machinists and those who have experience using a cross slide have little use for such a thing, but as a neophyte, I found it handy.
    Regards,

Glen

I've decided to copy your gadget. Got the nice little X Y table today. Already have a 5C spin index. I'll probably make a manual rotary table.

My one question is about the cutter. In the JaHo video it appears they are using a standard metal working boring head with I suppose a MT2 shank to fit the spindle. What are you using?

I do have a small boring head that might work, but it has a 3/4" shank and I will have to change it out to a MT2.
    Larry

I bought a 2” MT2 boring head from Little Machine Shop with 1/2” cutter openings. I bought a reducer sleeve from McMaster allowing me to use 1/4” carbide cutters. My cutters are made by Micro 100 and were purchased on Amazon. The primary problem with these is that the profile selection is extremely limited. Since then though I happened upon Jon Spencer’s Facebook page. Jon makes and sells his own solid carbide cutters for the ornamental turning space and has a huge selection of profiles and diameters. He also has a big selection of decorative drills as well.

Go to FB and look for “O.T. Cutting tools by Jon Spencer”. Go to his photos page and you’ll see his price for each of the available cutters and drills as well as contact information. Jon’s a great guy and has been a huge help. If you don’t have FB, let me know and I’ll send you his contact information.
    Last edited by Glen Blanchard; 08-24-2018 at 6:39 AM.
    Regards,

Glen

Here is Jon's contact information:

Fly Cutter Price List

Drill Price List
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 07-27-2021 at 11:13 AM.
    Regards,

Glen

Thanks Glen
    Larry

13. Glen, I have been following your quest at replicating the Ja Ho apparatus and was going to either twist my brother in laws arm who lives in Germany to ship one over here or replicate one. I liked the idea of the spin indexer, which one do you have? My lathe only has 16 inches of swing, so its a little tighter as far as stacking the spin indexer and the cross slide and still being on center. one more question, how tall is the proxxon slide? also the spin indexer you own. Your first attempt with the basket weave looks promising.

Thanks, …...Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Fredrick Lambert View Post
    Glen, I have been following your quest at replicating the Ja Ho apparatus and was going to either twist my brother in laws arm who lives in Germany to ship one over here or replicate one. I liked the idea of the spin indexer, which one do you have? My lathe only has 16 inches of swing, so its a little tighter as far as stacking the spin indexer and the cross slide and still being on center. one more question, how tall is the proxxon slide? also the spin indexer you own. Your first attempt with the basket weave looks promising.

Thanks, …...Fred
    Fred - The height of the Proxxon comes in at very close to 1.8". The stack of rotary table, wooden platform, slide and indexer comes in at about 7.5". Your 16" swing would be a very tight fit. You could eliminate the rotary table and knock off a couple of inches which would make the project quite doable I would think.

I should state that, having become intrigued with ornamental turning, I took the plunge. I bought a Lindow Rose Engine with most of the trimmings.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 07-27-2021 at 11:12 AM.
    Regards,

Glen

15. Lindow Rose Engine??? I live in the SF Bay Area.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 07-27-2021 at 11:13 AM.