Thread: Metric Motor - Fan housing - Where to source?

Blog Entries

Metric Motor - Fan housing - Where to source?

I'd like to source a fan cover for an electric motor from NTB. However, searching on the web for such a thing mainly brings you to the pages of a tire and battery distributor.

I fixed most of the issues with this machine, but one problem cropped up. The motor mount flexes when you use a large chisel. I'd like to build a support system and doing so requires me to remove the sheetmetal housing (which I don't like, in any case) and cover the fan since I work from behind the machine.

I plan to run two very heavy aluminum bars down the sides, which will allow support for a large aluminum bracket that attaches to the front of the motor. If all goes as planned it will be sturdy and very easily removable when I convert it back to other forms of use.

....And yes, Patrick, I should have bought a old Wadkin mortiser
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I'll check what's available in Germany, but the manufacturer is ATB, not NTB. The company is headquartered in Austria, but has factories all over Europe.

Brian, let's talk about this when I visit on Monday...could be something I can fabricate out of something other than steel.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Thanks Mike! Ah-ha, that makes sense as to why the search engine was correcting me,

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Brian, let's talk about this when I visit on Monday...could be something I can fabricate out of something other than steel.
    Sounds good, Jim! I look forward to seeing what you have in mind.

That housing is poorly designed for air flow. it looks to have good exit vents. It should have a lot of small holes near the center of the blower wheel to allow air in. Or one big hole with some screen on it. I need to make a cover for my bandsaw motor. I am thinking a metal sauce pan should be cheap and easy. A plastic bowl might get too hot and melt.
    Bil lD.

Blog Entries
    The housing is the least of my worries

Ok, I figured another way to bracket this. Basically building another motor mount which brackets to the front of the motor and takes the ability to flex out of it. This will also relieve the attachment point between motor case and mount since it is currently a bit light duty given the strain placed on it.

This explains so many problems I’ve had with this machine and it’s inability to maintain a consistent cut path. The flexible 3/16” thick mount would seem to be the root problem. I can flex it easily by grabbing the snout of this motor and lifting.