Thread: Axiom V saw set

Axiom V saw set

I have an old saw set marked Axiom V. Does anyone have the instruction manual for it? It works a bit differently than the usual plier types.

thanks for any input

Blog Entries
    Les, a picture if you can post one might be of help.

Googling Axiom V saw set didn't show anything.

There are many kinds of saw sets just as there are many types of saws.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    If you place a handsaw in a saw vise, you can set the teeth by taking small screwdriver and placing it between the first
    two teeth and twisting.
    This sets one tooth to one side and the next tooth to the other side. You go to the next pair
    of teeth and repeat. You do this until all teeth are set.

If I have sharpened the teeth prior to setting, I will stone the sides of the teeth.

I have a collection of antique Disston hand saws, both cross cut and rip. Some came to me rusty and two with broken handles. They have new curly maple handles, are de-rusted and cut like saw mills. Yes, I'm bragging.

pics

Here are some pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    That looks like a common design. If my memory is working the screw on the bottom (right second picture) is adjusted to hold the plate in position. The plate should be able to slide freely but not rattle around.

The other screw is to lock the anvil plate into position. This determines the amount of set. This saw set is most likely for saws with less than 10 ppi.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

strangely enough, on the 12 setting, the least strong set, on a .015 plate 15 ppi, the set produced is less than 3 thou total. I think it just sits too low on the tooth line. My Somex works better, but is a bit too strong. I get 10 thou total set which is too much on a 015 plate to suit me.

I purchased a new Somex set from Tools for Working Wood. It's the smaller of the two offered, with a small plunger. The 11-1/2 setting produced the desired .006 total set (.003/side) on my LN thin plate dovetail saw. Happy camper here.