Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you guys think of this saw feature?

Andrew Lunn made saws under the banner of Eccentric Toolworks. Magnificent saws. He used a variation that worked very well. Rather than using different size teeth, he added a lower rake on the initial teeth. This simply made the teeth cut a little more gently, and the transition was imperceptible. I have 14" crosscut carcase saw, and it works.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I have the GB saw and my experience with it parallels largely what is mentioned above.

I bought it as my first joinery saw, along with the kerf starter tool. I have used it for multiple small tasks including dovetails, tenons, crosscuts. I have used the kerf starter less and less. The toothless entry serves its purpose well. Ther other aspect of the saw not mentioned is the toothless portion at the heel. That definitely helps train you to take full length strokes rather than chattering away using only the middle 1/3 of the available teeth.

My biggest problem with it is feeling the angle of the plate to the workpiece. My traditional backsaws make it much easier for me to sense.

So I'll be getting a traditional dovetail saw to use, and I will get a traditionally filed tooth pattern. If my youngest shows an interest I have no qualms teaching him with the GB saw, and I'm sure I'll use it for various tasks.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    Same idea as the now discontinued L-N progressive teeth saw?

Purists? Or just a bunch of obstinate woodworkers?
    I just bought the Cosman dovetail saw. It's not progressive, but has 22 tpi for the first couple of inches and then 15 tpi for the remainder. It just came in today, but in some quick test cuts, it does seem to help with starting the kerf. It saws really fast too. The handle is also composite instead of wood, but it feels good in the hand and is surprisingly heavy.

... Too many good ideas are killed because they are not consistent with the old way of thinking or proven practices. Cell phones would have never been born if we had let the landline businesses dictate our world! ...

Simon
    You're not going to sell me with that example...

Not sure IF that will work for me....as I start a saw cut back near the handle area....usually between the etch and the handle....But, that is just me.

Blog Entries
    Same idea as the now discontinued L-N progressive teeth saw?
    Probably not as sophisticated. I just increase the rake on the first inch or so.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler