Thread: Looking for source for clear quality 8/4 x 8 fir

Looking for source for clear quality 8/4 x 8 fir

I am planning on building carriage style doors for my shop, but the materials options here in Tulsa are pretty dismal. Looking for info or contacts for purchasing wood suitable for this purpose. I'm not married to the notion of using fir, so will consider reasonable alternatives.

See if your local lumber supplier sells scaffold grade fir. It is pricey but clear.

Blog Entries
    Sometimes to get a good 2X4 you have to buy a 2X12 and rip it yourself.

Also the longer lengths may be less likely to have knots.

BTW, softwoods are usually specified in full inches and hardwoods as X/4. What is sold as 2" fir is usually 1-1/2".

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

A good, local lumber yard should be able to order you very nice straight/vertical grain D-Fir without much problem. That's how I obtain it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I purchased about 8k worth of cvg doug fir and cvg ayc from these people this past year. All 8/4 x 12 x16 and every board was peferfectly flat free of twist cup wane checking or any other issue to be expected and or associated with large rough lumber.

Every board had very tight grain and was dead straight.

I can’t recomend them enough.

http://www.bearcreeklumber.com/species/fir_cvg.html

Thanks for the suggestions and corrections . I will make some calls in the a.m. and see what I find.

Where are you located? Here in Washington, most real lumber yards carry CVG Fir. . .and if you're picky you can still find some old growth all heartwood.
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Some will call hemlock ( "hem- fir" fir) Be careful.

Just an update, I found what I was looking for through one of the links posted on the thread. My local lumberyards didn't carry anything close to what I was looking for as they tend to only carry building grade lumber. The best I found was #2 fir. When I pressed on the question of CVG they had no idea how to get it.

Try to find an "independent" lumber yard that caters to the local professional builders if you can. "Chain" type lumber concerns tend to only focus on mass market things, while the "real" lumber yards focus on what their customers want and need. That's the kind of business I get my VG D-Fir from. They do generally need to order it, but it's there next day or the day after in my experience. Another local firm even carries D-Fir "beams" as standard since they are popular for certain kinds of projects in this area...and they, too, are a "mom and pop" locally owned and run business.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...