Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing insert tooling: On or off the arbor

Changing insert tooling: On or off the arbor

Removing the shaper insert head on my Cu300 combo machine requires a few steps: moving an interlock knob, opening a side door, locking the spindle with a rod, removing the arbor lock bolt, removing the insert head, then repeating the reverse process to reinstall the head.

Anyone just unplug the machine, raise the arbor and change out the insert knives while the shaper head is on the arbor?

There is no significant force applied to the arbor during the knife change process, so it seems relatively safe to me.

Am I missing something, and should I always remove the shaper head to change insert knives? Maybe to clean it, for example?

What are y'all doing?

Lazy in Texas,
    Mark McFarlane

I just pull the heads on my stuff. I don't feel I'd get my inserts in correctly that way.

I also like to clean everything when swapping knives out

Your process doesn't sound much more difficult than how I have to do it on most of my shapers.

Blog Entries
    I change knives with the head on the spindle.

If there is any chance you might have to walk away from the machine before the change is complete, the head should be
    removed to set up.

I just flip a handle to lock the spindle and pull the head off.
    I am supposed to shut the power off too?

Is this corrugated back tooling or those little insert profile head thingys

I always remove the head to change knives. Gives me a chance to brush off sawdust and make sure the new knives seat properly.

I'm going to say remove, too. If there's anything I've learned about tooling with my CNC activity is that you ALWAYS clean the tool and the parts that hold the tool for each and every change to maintain maximum accuracy. And beyond that, it's probably easier to change the inserts off the machine, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If you want to make a changing stand hydraulic shops have cylinder scrap in most sizes and can turn you something special if you need it. Bought a length of 1 1/4" recently for $17.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    I don't ever, though I don't think it's a bad idea. I've never witnessed it personally, but I've heard of mag starters magically contacting. I kinda want to call BS, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    I just flip a handle to lock the spindle and pull the head off.

Is this corrugated back tooling or those little insert profile head thingys
    Yes, you are supposed to turn off the power, son .

It's the little insert profile head thingy, but not the smallest, they are the 55mm tall steel knives. There is also a 40mm variant.
    Mark McFarlane

For full disclosure, this is one of the reasons I don't like climbing under the slider, which is required on the CU300 to lock the arbor.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mark McFarlane

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    I don't ever, though I don't think it's a bad idea. I've never witnessed it personally, but I've heard of mag starters magically contacting. I kinda want to call BS, but...

I had one do a momentary contact in a lightning storm. I just happen to be looking at the spindle and saw the cutter move about a 1/4 turn. But I don't shut off the main either, unless of course there is a thunder storm going on.

Hi Mark, there's no reason you can't unplug the machine, or open the disconnect switch and change the knives on the machine.

That said, I usually don't because I don't often run the same head sequentially.

I also don't have a spindle lock so I don't whack my head

Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I had one do a momentary contact in a lightning storm. I just happen to be looking at the spindle and saw the cutter move about a 1/4 turn. But I don't shut off the main either, unless of course there is a thunder storm going on.
    Supposedly, at a shop I used to work at a guy was changing a blade in a tablesaw and it fired up. He got mauled, but I'm calling shenanigans. I'm betting he screwed up.

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post
    For full disclosure, this is one of the reasons I don't like climbing under the slider, which is required on the CU300 to lock the arbor.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...