Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Changing insert tooling: On or off the arbor

One advantage of doing it on the bench is you are less likely to lose a screw or knife in some deep dark recess of the machine. With my luck it would be the last cutter and I would not have a spare one.
    Bill d

The CU300 has a disconnect on it that you can turn...no need to unplug. I don't like to change the height or fence if the next cutter is based off of the previous (my cope and stick), so that is the one case where I try to change the insert on the machine. I just blow it off with air to clean it.

always on the bench with glasses and good lighting. Started and still use old school stuff so its inspected wire brushed with a soft brush and blown clean and inspected again. I bench assemble and snug lightly then check for slide that things are lined up in the grooves but not final tighten. head goes on the shaft and then do a spin test on a piece of scrap and the sound tells you if you need to go out on serrated or up or down on the currugated. Final tighten on the machine. Disconnect box is shut off, Ive had at least one machine over the years if you bump the switch it could start the machine. That has only happened to me with one brand of switches. I think Fonzi owned the company.

I bought a gaggle of insert tooling from an auction and it was filthy, cutters in crap shape and heads dirty. On the bench disassemble and clean all made sense, did the final tightening once cleaned on the bench. Found there is a bit of movement in the cutters before final snugging but either way it was easier to see and digest how it all worked with good lighting and access on the bench then just slip the set up head on.
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 08-16-2018 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post
    Changing insert tooling: On or off the arbor

I'm lucky enough to have arbors that pop out, so the tool body is more or less permanently mounted to the arbor, which goes into a rack to get serviced.
    JR

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    Supposedly, at a shop I used to work at a guy was changing a blade in a tablesaw and it fired up. He got mauled, but I'm calling shenanigans. I'm betting he screwed up.
    I'm not sure what went on, but the strike killed a tree right next to the shop. Switch did not make contact or it would have turned on. Don't understand lightning other than it seems to do whatever it wants. I once had lightning come in the house and blow out the gas line, from the inside out, and no fire?