Thread: Blast gates for 4 inch SCH 40 PVC

Blast gates for 4 inch SCH 40 PVC

Finally getting around to setting up DC.

I purchased used Oneida V3000 yellow version off CL.

I had a buddy that runs local supply house get me all the SCH40 PVC 4 and 6 inch pipe, WYE's, 45's couplers / reducers that I couplers that I ever could possibly need.

So the last piece of the puzzle is what blast do I need, that will work with 4 inch SCH40? From my readings it seems all vary OD/ID and I don't want to monkey around and just want tried and true that will work with 4" PVC.

Any recommendations and thanks in advance!

- Brian

Blog Entries
    Disclaimer --- as always, opinions expressed here are just that; opinions.

Schd 40 is much heavier pipe than you need. It is more trouble to cut and heavier to work with over head. Dad has schd 40 and I have ASTM-2729. It takes two of us to work on his stuff. I do my stuff by myself. Same fittings fit both so that cost is the same, the pipe itself is less expensive.

Generally speaking you don't want to reduce to 4" until you gate to your short flex hose. Reducing from 6" to 4" pipe for any length of run makes no sense to me. I reduce for plastic and metal gates the same way. Either a 6x6x4 wye with a gate adapted into the wye:

6x6x4-blastgate-crop.jpg

Or a 6x4 reducer with a gate adapted into the reducer:

e-DC-Mod-Planer.jpg . f-DC-Mod-Planer.jpg

duct examples (2).jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

what is that black adapt material. Just adhesive backed tape / foam of some sort?

I made my own that work great. Also, no problems with fitting the pipe.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by brian cammarata View Post
    what is that black adapt material. Just adhesive backed tape / foam of some sort?
    4" corrugated irrigation pipe. About a dollar a foot in 10' sticks. I bought it to make a dowel rack.

Dowel-Storage-Rivets.jpg . Dowel-Storage-Bottoms.jpg . Dowel-Storage-Dowels.jpg

I had plenty left over. Any 4" pipe will do, I just cut a section out to make the diameters match.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I just made my own with short lengths of pipe gorilla glued into the 1x boards. Easy enough once I had my flycutter dialed in for my drill press. I saved a scrap board that was not bored through too far. That makes it easy to reset the fly cutter when I need to make more. I glued some lath on each side to make clearance for the Masonite slider. Then I used four screws to hold them together. I would have used glue but I was not sure how well they would work.
    I used a big roundover in my router to smooth the hole where it met the slide.
    Bill D.

I did like Bill, made my own. I used tempered hardboard smooth both sides for the sliding and facing parts. A little wax may be in order but if they don't slide too freely it's easy to open the gate part way and it'll stay in that position. I used 3/4" ply for the body, doubled around the 6" pipe in order to get ample thickness for gluing. I used couplers cut in half then screws and construction adhesive to secure the half coupler to each side of the blast gates. Pipe slides right into the half coupler. They work very well and don't leak noticeably.

I am using these from Rockler: https://www.amazon.com/Rockler-4-Met.../dp/B001DSZ3G4

They work fine with 4" Sched 40 PVC.
    Last edited by George Rousis; 08-27-2018 at 2:17 PM.