Thread: 14 in Rockwell Bandsaw

14 in Rockwell Bandsaw

I would like to get opinions on a Rockwell 14 in bandsaw listed on CL for $350. It has a 1 1/2 hp motor and a 6 in riser. Model # 6K702C. Thanks in advance for any insight you might have
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by John A Murray; 08-14-2018 at 9:12 PM. Reason: Added model #

Looks nice, price is pretty good. Note that there isn’t a fence. Classic saw.

Thats a pretty fair price for a very clean open stand Delta/Rockwell 14" saw in most markets especially since it does not have a 3/4hp motor. I will say I prefer those saws without a riser block since I think they suggest the saw can do more than it really can, sure you can resaw 10-12" with them but it is very slow and the riser adds to the flexibility of the spine. Don't get me wrong but I have seen a lot of them that people have pimped out with hundreds of dollars in accessories in an attempt to extract more than they are really capable of when they could have bought a bigger more capable saw, to begin with. When used within their limitations they are great little saws.

Note someone may well come in and point out they see better examples of Delta 14" saws for cheaper all the time. Certainly, it happens. The rules of used machines dictate if you don't buy it you will search for months and not find a better deal, if you do buy it you will see a better deal next week. So my rule is when you find something that fits your requirements and is in your budget buy it... then STOP looking on CL etc for that machine, well unless you are like me and can never have enough bandsaws.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Thank you for the replies. I am going to go take a look at it this afternoon. I have used a Shopsmith bandsaw for the past 30 years so this will be my first stand alone bandsaw. Are there any particular areas of the saw I should inspect carefully for potential problems?

The only big weakness on these saws is the pot metal trunions under the table. If you buy it take the table off for transport .

Rockwell name was pre- delta..so this is an old machine. It looks to be in terrific shape and I suspect you can easily get parts.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

I replaced the missing guide blocks on mine with oak pieces into the original holders. I think they are like 1/2" square.
    Bill D.

Looks to me like it is missing the table. No miter gauge slot, and looking closeup the table looks like particle board to me. Maybe the table is under it?

On the good side, you have a 1 1/2 HP motor, mine from the 70's had a 1/2 HP. I sold it (very good condition) for $400, 5 years ago.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I recently bought a similar one with a 1 HP motor for about the same price in Canadian dollars. Make sure you remove the blade and check the wheels. The bore on the upper wheel on mine was worn and I replaced the wheel. Even with the worn bore it ran smoother than the Asian clone it replaced. I probably could have shimmed the wheel to solve the issue but got a deal on a replacement wheel (not OEM). I also replaced the belt with a link belt and one of the pulleys.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    The only big weakness on these saws is the pot metal trunions under the table.
    I would suggest it is only 1 of the 2 design weaknesses, the other being the upper wheel hinge. Fortunately, both are still available and not too expensive but damage to both can be avoided, the hinge by not over tensioning the saw. I am not sure if he still stocks them but Louis Iturra used to make an upgraded wheel hinge.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Thank you all. I will follow up on your recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle Rich View Post
    Rockwell name was pre- delta..so this is an old machine. It looks to be in terrific shape and I suspect you can easily get parts.
    Actually, in relative terms, this saw isn't that old. Despite being around 40 years old Delta made the first 14" cast saws in this "pattern" 40 years previous to that. This is a 28-240 built in the late 70s/early 80s during the "Rockwell International Years" and just before the "Pentair Years".

To bring this full circle, I decided not to buy it It was going to require more work than I was willing to put into it. But it might not be a total waste of time as the seller is a retired electrician and is going to give me an estimate to install a sub-panel in my garage. So we both still come out ahead. Thanks again for everyone’s input.

I think Rick was right - looks like a shop made table. Was he right?

Yes, he was. The original table was missing.