Thread: Attn Ken Hatch - Important Wood Question

Attn Ken Hatch - Important Wood Question

In your opinion, what is the best wood to use for grilling Sonoran Dogs on the fire-side rack of the smoker? I am hoping to lean on your Tucson location for help with this deadly important question.
    David

Can't speak for Ken, but I'm partial to 50-50 apple cherry up here in Ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    In your opinion, what is the best wood to use for grilling Sonoran Dogs on the fire-side rack of the smoker? I am hoping to lean on your Tucson location for help with this deadly important question.
    David,

To be authentic you'll want to use Mesquite or Mesquite charcoal. Let me know when and I might fire up the motorhome . BTW, I've been known to ride the motorcycle to Luling for BBQ lunch or Jackson Hole for a Billie's hamburger. You never know.

ken

Pete - The apple and/or cherry species is my go-to wood for smoking ribs (thanks to the rib master Johnny Trigg) but I believe that Sonoran dogs require a little more bite in the smoke to combat the short exposure time to the smoke and the robust flavor of the dog itself. Just my opinion, though, and thanks for your thoughts.

Ken - We have a consensus, as I too had Mesquite on the brain. I'm thinking Oak might be OK, but Mesquite would take the dogs over the top. Luling is indeed hard core BBQ territory, but Austin need not blush at all when speaking of BBQ. So, Mesquite it is and no canned beans thank you very much.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Kees Heiden View Post
    It's just "regional food" Kees! I'll bet there is some local favorite over your way that would look disgusting to an Arizonan.

How about raw, salted, herring?

Kees,

I've eaten street food over most of the world and I've always worked on the belief if I see two folks eating it it is most likely OK and may even be good. Bring on the salted Herring.

ken

Kees, Kees, Kees. I am so very sorry you have apparently never been exposed to a Sonoran Dog. I'm sure I saw some in Amsterdam years ago, but there may have been alcohol involved in that incident and perhaps the less spoken of the incident the better. As to pickled fish, the Norwegians cured me of that habit long ago, however I applaud your herring demonstrators' for their enthusiasm.
    David

Or smoked eel? Definitely an acquired Netherlands taste!

Vla, stroopwafels, and shoarma got me thru a summer in Leiden 25 years ago.

You can eat the fish - I'll buy the gals a beer!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Tucson is the capital for desert ironwood. This probably makes some really interesting smoke! There are a couple of ironwood dealers in the city - maybe they could sell you some scraps or cutoffs...

You guys are making me hungry. I'd love some Afghanistan Naan and charcoal grilled fat tail sheep. All served on an oil cloth covered low table with a half dozen of your new best friends. I'd almost go back for that.

ken