Thread: Coplanar reliability of combo jointer/planer machines

Coplanar reliability of combo jointer/planer machines

Hello folks,

For those of you who work with combination jointer/planer machines: how reliably do the tables maintain co-planar alignment? I struggle to think that these machines can be as reliably made and kept coplanar as their stand-alone counterparts with all the extra movement, but at this point I've seen plenty of quality work produced on combination machines.

If the tables do require alignment, what is the procedure with your combo machine? And how painful is the operation to perform precisely?

Any regrets in choosing your combo?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Regards,
    Ryan

Hi Ryan, my original Hammer A3-31 was purchased 10 years ago.

It has been at the second owners place since 2011.

Neither it, nor my new A3-31, now 7 years old have required adjustment.

The combo J/P was a great upgrade from my General 8 inch jointer and 13 inch planer. More jointer capacity, better work results, easier knife changes, more jointer capacity, built in digital height gauge for the planer, extension tables for long material if required.

The increased capacity, performance, functionality and space savings were well worth it to me.............Rod.

My A3-31 is now 20 years old. I’ve re-aligned the infeed table maybe 4-5 times. It isn’t difficult. I should point out that I’m a full-time woodworker, and that machine gets a *lot* of use.

My Knapp is now 14 years old and is quite accurate. The jointer and planer adjust separately. I have had to adjust the jointer tables once. At 410mm wide it usually meets my needs. That said, I would love a larger planer with a sectional/segmented infeed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

My Felder AD 751 was always dead accurate, even when I forgot to lock the tables down.

As with most things, buy good tools and they hold up/true very well.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I've learnt my lesson so I bought a new AD951. I dont think I will ever need to adjust it.

My SCM/MiniMax FS350 was purchased in about 2004 and has never required any kind of adjustment. ZERO regrets other than not buying a 410mm/16" rather than the 350mm/13.65" I did get.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hello folks,

Thanks for the feedback. It is encouraging to hear that many have found their combination machines to remain true throughout frequent changes of operation, and that adjustment is reasonable when required.

Rod: I owe you a special debt of gratitude. I had electricians re-wiring my shop today, and had I not come across one of your other posts I would have requested a 30 amp circuit to handle an A3-31 instead of 20 amps which I understand Hammer stipulates for this model. Cheers.

Regards,
    Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Lloyd View Post
    Hello folks,

Thanks for the feedback. It is encouraging to hear that many have found their combination machines to remain true throughout frequent changes of operation, and that adjustment is reasonable when required.

Rod: I owe you a special debt of gratitude. I had electricians re-wiring my shop today, and had I not come across one of your other posts I would have requested a 30 amp circuit to handle an A3-31 instead of 20 amps which I understand Hammer stipulates for this model. Cheers.

Regards,

Ryan
    Ryan, check with Felder to make sure of the requirements in your area.

I don't know if the A3-31 is still limited to 20 amperes maximum in Ontario, mine is however it's 7 years old. Mine is on a 15 ampere circuit.

That said a 20 ampere circuit would be fine.............Rod.

I own a Jet JP12-hh. I had to adjust it when it was delivered. I haven't done anything to it except use it in the 2 years since that time.