Thread: ECE rebate plane conversion

ECE rebate plane conversion

Has anyone modified the ECE rebate plane to add a fence to it? I have one and have been clamping a block on as a guide but it gets cumbersome with the clamps hanging off. If anyone has added an adjustable fence and is willing to share the details I'd be very grateful!

Blog Entries
    It may be easier to purchase a rebate plane with a fence.

After saying that if you are interested in making an adjustable fence for your plane you may consider attaching a piece to make the base wider so a sliding piece can be attached to it. This would work something like a moving fillester plane.

Of course doing this would be considered damage to the plane for resale in the future.

One of my $10 finds was a 2" rebate plane that was a bit worn. Something like that would be a good candidate for conversion.

Finally if the inside corner on the sole of the plane is good and square you can cut a rabbet without a fence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPQiTcewxCE

Sorry for the low quality but it is an old inexpensive camera.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Mikes View Post
    Has anyone modified the ECE rebate plane to add a fence to it? I have one and have been clamping a block on as a guide but it gets cumbersome with the clamps hanging off. If anyone has added an adjustable fence and is willing to share the details I'd be very grateful!
    Steven,

Not an answer to your question but as Jim kinda went there. For small runs of rebates a unfenced rebate plane works easier and faster than a fenced one. In fact most of my rebates started with a fenced plane will be finished with a ECE rebate plane. A knife line, a snipes bill, the ECE, and I'm off to the races. Try it a few times and you might be surprised at the results and how quick and easy it is.

ken

Ken, I had to look up what a snipes bill was, wish I could find one! I've been doing OK with the ECE rebate plane by itself so far, but my rebates seldom stay perfectly straight as they deepen. Maybe just need more practice. Or maybe a LV jack rabbet plane would help

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    ... A knife line, a snipes bill, the ECE, and I'm off to the races....
    Matt Bickford, who wrote the Molding Plane book, recently posted a short video on Instagram on making a Rabbet with an unfenced rebate plane, without a snipes bill plane. (Though I think a snipes bill would make it easier.)

I used to do the set the corner in the scribe method. It works, but can be tricky depending on the wood and the condition of the corner of your plane which will degrade over time. Now I typically just use the fingers of my left hand under the plane sole as a fence. I just stay away from my line a 32nd or 16th or whatever depending on how risky I feel. After a couple passes I can remove my fingers and go to town. Then I just rotate the plane 90 degrees and plane back to my line. I find it a lot easier and a lot less error prone than the corner method. Although, if I had a metal body rabbet plane I would probably do the corner thing because it will never wear down.