Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Production Level Vac Fixture Updated

Production Level Vac Fixture Updated

Hello All,

Well I finally got my vac fixture up and running to produce a production run of 75 custom plaques for a local university... it took a little while to get everything dialed in but it works great..9 ( 11x14 ) plaques at a time... runs 43 min for all 9 to be ready for final sanding and finishing...only 358 minutes of machining to go and this order will be ready for finishing....
    IMG_2952.jpgIMG_2953.jpgIMG_2954.jpgIMG_2955.jpgIMG_2956.jpg

The blanks seem to seat really well there, Adam! And that's what counts. Congrats on the nice business order, too!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Looks very nice.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Another thing that might help speed you up would be to add a finger / air hole on one leg of each pocket. Then set your toolpaths up to where you run one column or one row complete. That way the machine moves on to the next column or row while the operator pops the blanks out of the first row and repopulates that row with new blanks and now you just Loop your toolpath and just run over and over and over again.

I've asked on the last several orders about wide material, no luck other than culling it out of large packs glad to see that you could go with glue ups.

Mark,

That's a great idea but unfortunately this order will be 75 plaques with exactly the same information with exception to the persons name, number & position they played. Therefore I have to make a separate program for each set of 9 with the corresponding information in each one. On repeat production of the same thing your idea is spot on and I will definitely make that adjustment.

Jim,

Yea it took a little bit of work to get them to fit properly but after sealing the mdf and then cutting the pockets you have to tap them in with a rubber mallet as they actually make contact with the sides of the pocket to reduce vac loss as much as possible. but it works great now that I got the design down..

Thanks Bill

Mark,

These in the pictures are just my test blanks as they are the ones with odd colors and or weird grain clashes but yes I got approval to use the glue ups and it was surprisingly cheap for the amount of material I purchased...I used Keim Lumber in Charm Ohio for this order. They have an amazing selection and wholesale prices

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Bullington View Post
    Mark,

That's a great idea but unfortunately this order will be 75 plaques with exactly the same information with exception to the persons name, number & position they played. Therefore I have to make a separate program for each set of 9 with the corresponding information in each one. On repeat production of the same thing your idea is spot on and I will definitely make that adjustment.
    We do the same thing with personalized bulk runs where each plaque has some identical features but a different date or number field or graphic but we do the same thing. We vector the entire fixture but then we toolpath one row or column (whichever works best) at a time this way the machine completes a row/column, then moves on to the next row/column. Downside is you add a few tool changes proportionate to how many on your fixture rows but it allows you to pull the blanks on a completed row and drop in fresh raw blanks while the machine is running the next row. When the CNC is finishing its last row/column, all you have to do is put in that batch of blanks and hit go on the next fixture batch in the computer. It basically lets the machine run continuously without stopping other than for dropping the blanks in the last row. You could even eliminate that pause by kicking off the next fixture batch and pulling/dropping in fresh blanks in the very last row but I dont like anyone leaning over the back side of the gantry while the machine is running so we just do those while the CNC sits for a minute or two.

Mark,

These in the pictures are just my test blanks as they are the ones with odd colors and or weird grain clashes but yes I got approval to use the glue ups and it was surprisingly cheap for the amount of material I purchased...I used Keim Lumber in Charm Ohio for this order. They have an amazing selection and wholesale prices
    I was going to mention to you that Paxton is out calling. I was on the line with the regional rep yesterday. Im sure they would feed your area. Harwood, sheet goods, and they run a couple big molders for stock stuff. Not sure if youve dealt with them.

Mark,

Especially if you buy the under 6 foot lengths Love to shop there great selection of tools and lumber including exotics. I go there for some of my cnc tooling also. Even my wife likes to go but maybe it is we get to stop for bakery and a lunch on the way home.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Especially if you buy the under 6 foot lengths Love to shop there great selection of tools and lumber including exotics. I go there for some of my cnc tooling also. Even my wife likes to go but maybe it is we get to stop for bakery and a lunch on the way home.
    Mind posting some ball park costs per bdft for materials? Mid-Atlantic is drowning in hardwood but it can be hard to buy. Always interested in numbers based on given quantities.

I mean whats better that a truck full of nice lumber and a stomach full of amazing food? I'm headed back to Keim Lumber very soon... and may have to fill both my truck and my stomach.. LOL

I'll scan the materials pages and post them out of their catalog. They have "woodshop" accounts that you fill out the paperwork and once set up they sell you deep discounted wholesale prices of everything....like good domestic ply cheaper than the Chinese crap you can get at the big box stores....and its better pricing still if you buy in quantity...