Page 25 of 47 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Thread: Justifying A Major Tool Purchase

Does the Felder head produce a different chip than any other insert head

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    No expert but I would imagine the Felder Silent Power cutterblock probably produces chips similar in size to other spiral cutterblocks. When I mentioned the Silent Power would help, it was in comparison to straight knives.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

The chip is the same as some other inserted head that skew the insert. Some insert heads have a straight cuts. Some inserted heads have skewed cuts.

Felder is the only head that has skewed and Helical Cut. I do believe there is a patent on the head, and the special radiuses inserts can only be bought through Felder. I haven’t looked for a alternative supplier yet, as I am only on the second face of the four, in five years. I rotated when I found my cutter block to be too hot to touch after a two hour run. It was still leaving a pretty good finish. I have been running a lot of IPE through the head recently. I can’t compare it to Pine but I can run pine over it afterwards with no questions asked.
    Last edited by Matt Mattingley; 09-16-2018 at 11:17 PM.

They come out gold plated.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Mattingley View Post
    The chip is the same as some other inserted head that skew the insert. Some insert heads have a straight cuts. Some inserted heads have skewed cuts.

Felder is the only head that has skewed and Helical Cut. I do believe there is a patent on the head, and the special radiuses inserts can only be bought through Felder. I haven’t looked for a alternative supplier yet, as I am only on the second face of the four, in five years. I rotated when I found my cutter block to be too hot to touch after a two hour run. It was still leaving a pretty good finish. I have been running a lot of IPE through the head recently. I can’t compare it to Pine but I can run pine over it afterwards with no questions asked.
    Byrd is skewed, helical and using radiused cutters. You can also get them without having to buy a hammer or felder!

Quote Originally Posted by brent stanley View Post
    They come out gold plated.
    Not quite but they do come out a little differently with horse power, amperage and finish product. You well know A skewed cut can reduce load.

Sure there is aftermarket heads. I’m wondering if there is a head-to-head comparison??? This could run this thread two or three more pages....

Decibel readings, finish, amperage readings, carbide longjevity, head chip management, chip/head temperature value and displacement. Then there is tool capacity. This particular machine is outfitted with a real 4hp. motor.

In my opinion this is a pretty good beast machine.

Quote Originally Posted by brent stanley View Post
    Byrd is skewed, helical and using radiused cutters. You can also get them without having to buy a hammer or felder!
    Felder has patent a continuous chip load displacement. Byrd has attempted to copy without infringing with alternate cut displacement. Felder is a true helical head. Byrd is not.

I’ll take a picture of my hammerhead tomorrow and post here. There is a significant difference between a Byrd and A Felder. The difference between a hammer and a Felder is they go from 2 rows to 3 rows of inserts. This is accomplished by a larger diameter head.
    Last edited by Matt Mattingley; 09-17-2018 at 12:04 AM.

... and the special radiuses inserts can only be bought through Felder. ...
    You can get the inserts for Hammer (which I imagine is the same as Felder) from here: https://sje-tools.com/14-carbide-inserts

Regards from Perth

Derek

9. Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    You can get the inserts for Hammer (which I imagine is the same as Felder) from here: https://sje-tools.com/14-carbide-inserts

Regards from Perth

Derek
    they seem to be out of stock.

Contact him directly. He is very approachable and will let you know when he more.

Regards from Perth

Derek

This is a Byrd head
    15-inch-Shelix_d400[1].png

This is the Silent Power head
    IMG_1462blog-main[1].jpg

You well know A skewed cut can reduce load.
    Maybe not...

Felder has patent a continuous chip load displacement. Byrd has attempted to copy without infringing with alternate cut displacement.
    That is interesting. Since Felder introduced their Silent Power head (was that 2012) when did Byrd change theirs? Did Felder have patents that pre-dated Byrd building Shelix heads?
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Felder has patent a continuous chip load displacement. Byrd has attempted to copy without infringing with alternate cut displacement. Felder is a true helical head. Byrd is not.

I’ll take a picture of my hammerhead tomorrow and post here. There is a significant difference between a Byrd and A Felder. The difference between a hammer and a Felder is they go from 2 rows to 3 rows of inserts. This is accomplished by a larger diameter head.
    Felder came to market with this head many years after Byrd had their Shelix head out. Fine woodworking talked about the Felder head being "rolled out" in 2012 or thereabouts and Felder talks about it being new in their video from 2012. Byrd has been out much longer than that.....so who "copied" who? Don't even try to go there Matt because if you look at big industrial equipment, the Italians and Germans were doing segmented heads long before we saw Byrd over here.

The Byrd head has skewed knives with a radius....you've seen mine. The radius is required and is a function of the diameter of the head and the angle of shear etc. They are also helically arranged around the block, the only difference is, they're not continuous like the Felder is. With either design, the chip still breaks at or near the end of the cutter so really neither creates a continuous chip like my Wadkin skew knife head. What's interesting is that Felder calls their head a spiral head sometimes.

Not quite but they do come out a little differently with horse power, amperage and finish product. You well know A skewed cut can reduce load.

Sure there is aftermarket heads. I’m wondering if there is a head-to-head comparison??? This could run this thread two or three more pages....

Decibel readings, finish, amperage readings, carbide longjevity, head chip management, chip/head temperature value and displacement. Then there is tool capacity. This particular machine is outfitted with a real 4hp. motor.

In my opinion this is a pretty good beast machine.
    There have been many side by side comparisons over the years.