Page 19 of 47 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: Justifying A Major Tool Purchase

I'm sure you are "screaming loudly" about the reveal of the surcharge after the face and after the paperwork was signed...and letting them know you're documenting it on line for others to hear about your angst...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Julie, while I understand your frustration, I don’t get that $60 would be a deal breaker for you? There are many stories on this site about disappointing customer service when buying WW machines.
    Not long ago someone posted here that he ordered a new $15k Kundig edgesander. What he received was a floor demo model. The dealer kind of forgot to tell the customer that? I just went through a very disappointing experience with Martin.
    Unfortunately, it seems that when dealing with most if not all of these companies, you have to really want one of their machines and accept some goofiness.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    That's not how it works here, John. The customer signs an authorization form requiring a 20% deposit be submitted to begin the ordering process, in this case, $1,000. The form the customer signs states the deposit is NON-REFUNDABLE. The 20% deposit is on a credit card that, of course, could be disputed if the customer chooses to do so.

The after-the-fact 3% fee was like a bomb dropping here. For my SO, who very reluctantly agreed to the purchase, it was the straw that broke the camel's back. For me it was an ethical issue. Be up front with your policies from the start. Don't implement them later, especially after the customer has made a mandatory non-refundable deposit.

I know Felder sells to individuals. I'm sure they have handled many transactions that were payed for fully with a credit card. To stand on the assumption using a credit card is highly unusual seems disingenuous.

EDIT: I should add the same machine I am trying to buy, as well as many other more expensive machines, can be purchased through their e-Shop using a CC, no CC fee applied. The quote I received had the same price as their e-Shop. I chose to go through the local rep because, when I ordered the Felder catalog, he called me and sent me the catalog.
    Julie,

It is against Florida Law to charge a surcharge. You do not have to pay it and be sure to cite the relevant statute to Felder and or the rep that it is a misdemeanor of the second degree to do so under Florida Law. Based on your location that's why it wouldn't show up in their e-Shop. Whoever told you there would be a 3% surcharge to use a credit card for a Florida purchase is either ignorant of the law or is sleazy and hopes you and are gullible enough to pay it without questioning it.
    501.0117 Credit cards; transactions in which seller or lessor prohibited from imposing surcharge; penalty.
    http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/...0501.0117.html

I don't want to go so far as to say anyone is trying to pull a fast one. I'm not going to speculate on intent. But it has been a somewhat frustrating experience. I still haven't heard back from them so I have no idea where they stand on this. It would be nice to know.

This whole experience has certainly taken the enthusiasm I once had about owning a new JP. It's at the point I don't care one way or the other if I ever even get it. I just want to make sure I don't lose my $1,000.00 deposit.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Julie, have you seen this thread and Bacari's contact info?
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....r-Support-Page

I sure would complain about the attempt to charge the CC merchant fee (especially when other posters here have indicated the ability to pay for the entire balance with no fee)

It's $150.......

I paid my AD951 using credit card and the surcharge was 2% on top of the full payment.

over here business can charge you a surcharge if you choose to pay with credit card, not many operate this way as they may loose business, but for the likes of Felder dealer, there is only one Felder dealer, so they charge whatever they like, if you dont like it, you pay direct cash. it was close to $14000 USD in cash. I dont have that kind of cash lying around, it would be cheaper to buy with Credit card and pay over a period of time, our low interest rate credit card is like 13% per annum.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    Julie, have you seen this thread and Bacari's contact info?
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....r-Support-Page

I sure would complain about the attempt to charge the CC merchant fee (especially when other posters here have indicated the ability to pay for the entire balance with no fee)
    Wow... Bacari did a disappearing act, too. Two days filled with vim and vigor, then.... poof!

The DC pipe fittings just arrived from Kencraft. The 6x5 reducer works perfectly with the 5" flex hose (as expected). So if the DC connection on the A3-31 is in fact 4.75" OD, there will be no need for any mm to inch adapters. If so, this will be the first time metric and imperial agreed on something.

And I got a call from Felder. They removed the surcharge and said the JP is ready to ship, all they needed was the paperwork. They should have it all now.

The DC pipe fittings just arrived from Kencraft. The 6x5 reducer works perfectly with the 5" flex hose (as expected). So if the DC connection on the A3-31 is in fact 4.75" OD, there will be no need for any mm to inch adapters. If so, this will be the first time metric and imperial agreed on something.

And I got a call from Felder. They removed the surcharge and said the JP is ready to ship, all they needed was the paperwork. They should have it all now.
    Hopefully they don’t send yours on a crate prompting the need for a forklift to get it down. I’m still trying to figure mine out. Sheesh.

PS - CONGRATS!
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 09-05-2018 at 5:28 PM.

'Glad you got the surcharge removed, Julie!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    'Glad you got the surcharge removed, Julie!
    Rod was very helpful making that happen. I was both amazed and very appreciative. What a nice guy.

Rod was very helpful making that happen. I was both amazed and very appreciative. What a nice guy.
    Well he does work with them in some capacity, and working from the inside is more efficient. Good it's all sorted out!

I look forward to your review as you get it up and running! Have fun!

B

Quote Originally Posted by brent stanley View Post
    Well he does work with them in some capacity, and working from the inside is more efficient. Good it's all sorted out!

I look forward to your review as you get it up and running! Have fun!

B
    I’ve known Rod for about 6-7 years. He is genuine with a really good head on his shoulders and a heart in the right place. I couldn’t say enough good about the man! Men like him are hard to come by! He was the first full out Internet stranger who gave me a personal woodworking shop walk-through. His influence, where ever it is,is always genuine! IMO!
    Last edited by Matt Mattingley; 09-05-2018 at 10:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Mattingley View Post
    I’ve known Rod for about 6-7 years. He is genuine with a really good head on his shoulders and a heart in the right place. I couldn’t say enough good about the man! Men like him are hard to come by! He was the first full out Internet stranger who gave me a personal woodworking shop walk-through. His influence, where ever it is,is always genuine! IMO!
    Wasn't saying anything to the contrary, just that It's more efficient when you have someone on the other side of the curtain.