Page 29 of 47 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

Thread: Justifying A Major Tool Purchase

This thread has gotten way off topic. That said, Julie gets her new baby today so let’s go back to talking about it and waiting to see the after delivery pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by brent stanley View Post
    How much is one of their heads?
    16" direct drive jointers are around 2400

28 to 30" belt drive heads around 4500.

Priced by the inch, plus more for DD.

Quote Originally Posted by brent stanley View Post
    I Don't care and it doesn't matter, I was just wondering if they made heads for another company as well or not. I expect they wouldn't allow it other than for the retrofit market.
    Why wouldn't they?

I know that they are more focused on customer service than mass making heads. Something Shelix is not, hence a 10 month wait on a custom head.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    This thread has gotten way off topic. That said, Julie gets her new baby today so let’s go back to talking about it and waiting to see the after delivery pictures.
    Hold on, Greg! They promised delivery yesterday and it didn't happen. Let's not jump the gun. I'm choosing cautious optimism.

But yes, they did say today would be the day. I'm thinking because the route from Texas to here went through Atlanta, Florence might have been why the JP didn't arrive at the Orlando terminal in time to go out on yesterday's deliveries. But when the baby arrives, the camera will be clicking away.

Just hope I can pull this off alone. Yesterday I had two helpers lined up. Today, they are both busy. There are a couple of other guys I could call and at least one would be able to help but they are both in their late 70s. The young buck on the block who was going to help yesterday is in his 50s. Hey, this is Florida.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Delays should be expected since transport up and down the eastern coast is currently compromised which could back up the shipping operations, especially the terminals where LTL stuff gets shuffled around.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I seriously doubt this thread would have generated 424 posts had it not “gotten way off topic”. ��

Quote Originally Posted by John Sincerbeaux View Post
    I seriously doubt this thread would have generated 424 posts had it not “gotten way off topic”. ��
    Often the best information on forums comes from threads that have drifted, plus the OP has actively contributed to the "off topic" which in my mind makes it on topic.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

It was supposed to be a joke. That’s why I put the smiley face.

Carry on.......

Carry on.......
    Speaking of carrying, the carrier hasn't called yet. I'm guessing that means it's on the way. Yesterday the call that came said "not today". I hope the driver has no problem putting it in the garage because even the 75+ year olds are busy today. I guess I'd be too.

Got a knock on the door about half an hour ago. Some guy said he wanted to put a crate in my garage. He seemed like a nice guy so I let him leave it here.

So much for a low pallet... I asked him if he saw any way to get it off with his pallet jack. He said, "Too narrow." Oh well, I like a challenge.

Using a heavy duty 36" pry bar I wiggled the crate off the pallet little by little. When the far end was almost touching the floor, I inserted a piece of 3/4" EMT (typical sparky) and went back to prying it off the pallet. It went pretty easy. Once the front got close to the floor again, I put in another piece of pipe and moved the other one toward the back. As I got to the crate to the end of the pallet, I used a 4' 2x6 to ease it down on the pipe. I was surprised how easy it went.

Next comes the uncrating. Tomorrow I'm going to run out and buy some 2x6s and make a gradual ramp.

Nice. Wish mine had come like that. Would have simplified it somewhat. Good luck with tomorrow with round two tomorrow.

Congratulations.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

WooHoo!

(I know the feeling of relief when the trucker guy puts it safely in the garage.)

My plan is to either roll it off the skid with pipe or the mobile base. There are a MILLION HEAVY DUTY staples holding the plastic down and I have to remove them so they aren't in the way. Each one requires hammering a pry bar into it and wedging it up. Only one side comes up so I have to take a pair of Kleins to pull the other half up. I'll be pulling staples for a while.

With all the wood I removed from the crate no need to make a run to HD for lumber.

Nice of you to let that guy drop it in your garage.

I swear that the people in shipping in Austria are paid by the staple and screw..............Have fun, rollers are your friend................Rod.