Page 22 of 47 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: Justifying A Major Tool Purchase

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    Just got a reply back on the JP. It's being shipped out tomorrow...
    Whoop, whoop.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    Whoop, whoop.
    Just got off the phone with your guy, Greg, Tim Derr. He called to help out with the issues I'm having. I explained things. He said he'd call back. And he did. He got everything straightened out. Now I know why your experience was so much better than mine. Customer service is one of those factors I think all of us look at when trying to justify a major tool purchase. Tim gets it.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Yep. They’ve called me numerous times. Just checking in. Both Tim and a new Florida person named Juan Carlos. Wanting to make sure I’m doing well and to see if I have any questions. Thumbs up so far.

Now it's my turn to redo the ductwork.

Since I forgot to take a before picture, this was the best I could find

Having fiberglass reinforced metal tape on the joints made this a pain to take apart. The tape just shredded. But boy, did this get ugly in a hurry.

I have to screw everything together, that is if I don't just take the whole thing apart and start from scratch...

Looks nice in there. Wish I had gone ahead with metal duct work. If I ever move I’ll take advantage of that opportunity to replace my pvc with Norfab or something but too much cost to do it now. Get your spot ready for that crate headed your way.

Wow just caught up with this thread and what Julie has been going through. FWIW I ordered my A3-31 from the Hammer/Felder office here in Sacramento and they made me put down I believe 20% which oddly enough could be charged to a credit card, but I too was told the remainder would have a 3% charge if I used a credit card to pay for it. Not really an issue for me as I have the remainder in cash so I dont have to charge it, but I thought that was weird seeing as how a few years before they let me pay for my N4400 entirely with my credit card with no 3% fee that I recall. My A3-31 is due to arrive sometime this month.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Hi Ben, how do you like your N4400?

Regards, Rod.

I think I'm done buying things for the JP. Right now I'm finishing up the DC ductwork and installing a dedicated 20A circuit. I went with twist locks because I don't want anyone trying to jam a 120v plug into there.

Anyway, the final total is $5,475. I think that's more than my table saw, main router & bits, miter saw and bandsaw combined.

One of the big lessons I learned from this is don't order a Felder catalog. There's a genie in there who puts a spell on you.

I have to say I love these two threads, following Julie and Greg's progress. Educational and fun, vicariously spending other people's money.

Also interesting that jointers and planers are some of the first machines you need, but usually don't get purchased until later.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    Also interesting that jointers and planers are some of the first machines you need, but usually don't get purchased until later.
    Probably because you'd better be sure this woodworking thing is something you intend to stick with before plunking down that kind of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi Ben, how do you like your N4400?

Regards, Rod.
    I love it. Havent had any issues with it yet. The only thing I somewhat regret is that I didnt jump on the Felder FB-510 that I could have gotten for something like $400-500 more when I bought my N4400. That would have been a nice upgrade and was worth the additional cost. I was just tapped out at the time with the N4400 purchase.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

The electric is done. I went with a 12/3 SO cord for the machine. At 12' long it should be long enough to go anywhere I need. All I have to do with the ductwork is cap the 4" end and retape the joints.

Not as pretty as when it was initially done but the Ys should make things more efficient.

And one of these days I'll redo the drum part of the cyclone the movers damaged. Either that or just replace the whole thing.

Looking good Julie. I had to make a trip to Orlando the last two days. Just got back so hope to get back I. The shop tomorrow night to try to finish my work up through this weekend.

Have my new nova voyager coming sometime tomorrow via ABF freight so I grabbed a portamate 3500 for it while in Orlando. Overkill but I liked the way the 3500 has the drop down foot levers. Should make a stable platform for the voyager and be able to support a chest for bits and whatnot as well.

I bought the 3500 for the same reason. It will be interesting how it handles the JP.

Still no word from the carrier. Tim said they would be shipping today or tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    I bought the 3500 for the same reason. It will be interesting how it handles the JP.

Still no word from the carrier. Tim said they would be shipping today or tomorrow.
    Mine shipped ABF but that was from DE. Not sure if TX uses same. It seemed like it took forever but once I got shipping email I could track it from there. Fingers crossed you get it soon.