Page 44 of 47 FirstFirst ... 344041424344454647 LastLast

Thread: Justifying A Major Tool Purchase

Blog Entries
    Basically, you need to know how to tune the tables on the machine regardless, so learn now and set them up properly and get on with cutting wood then check the machine every so often.

I feel David is right on the money and the machines of this caliber that hold in tolerance for life are about 2500+ lbs, so the rest of them including my own J/P which cost me $10k need the occasional tune up and check. It's just somewhat unrealistic to think that these machines are so sturdy that they cannot lose adjustment in a workshop let alone in transportation being in a truck driving over bumps, lifted and set down.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    I hope the service center finds something wrong with your DW735, because the experiences you describe with it sound very different than what I experienced when I had one...

OTOH, a new 12" A3-31 with spiral cutterhead is only $4k.
    The A3-31 makes a lot of sense actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Basically, you need to know how to tune the tables on the machine regardless, so learn now and set them up properly and get on with cutting wood then check the machine every so often.

I feel David is right on the money and the machines of this caliber that hold in tolerance for life are about 2500+ lbs, so the rest of them including my own J/P which cost me $10k need the occasional tune up and check. It's just somewhat unrealistic to think that these machines are so sturdy that they cannot lose adjustment in a workshop let alone in transportation being in a truck driving over bumps, lifted and set down.
    Exactly. And learning to tune the machines is sometimes half the fun, actually.

I'm just hoping to hear how it does on that pecky wood that blew up your Dewalt.

Got a shop full of woodshop tools all bought brand new and all within the last 3-4 years and every single one needed quite a bit of tweaking/cleaning/setup/sometime repair when I first got it. I expected that. However once that initial ordeal was done, I've had zero issue since. In fact all Ive needed to do is reapply wax to keep the rust away. I expect my A3-31 so be no different.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    Got a shop full of woodshop tools all bought brand new and all within the last 3-4 years and every single one needed quite a bit of tweaking/cleaning/setup/sometime repair when I first got it. I expected that. However once that initial ordeal was done, I've had zero issue since. In fact all Ive needed to do is reapply wax to keep the rust away. I expect my A3-31 so be no different.
    Same here, including my recently purchased $18K CNC machine that traveled in a big crate on multiple tractor trailers and then a roll-back to my shop door followed by my getting it rolled into the shop. Some adjustment was necessary to cure a minor accuracy issue. Not documented, but customer support led me through the troubleshooting and adjustment process. My J/P had to have a defective switch replaced early on and after two "pork chop" guards cracked, I bought a bridge guard. A breaker in my slider shakes Murphy's hand about once a year and I also had to install a buck/boost transformer to deal with a marginal voltage issue from the street. The Jet and Delta equipment I had previous to the Euro gear all needed setup and adjustment when I got them in my shop, too. Nature of the beast... That said, it shouldn't be so difficult to get the documentation and information required to do all these things...it should come with the machine...and I'm sad that the OP has had to jump through hoops to get those materials.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I don't know of any manufacturer selling machines in the hobby sector that as part of the deal commissions machines. I also do not any know any manufacturer who supplies what I would call all the information needed to commission and service the machine for life in well presented documentation. Some of the attempts at documentation are not worth the paper they are written on to be honest and supply very little real information. I just bought yesterday a $30,000 mill for metal working and the documentation is adequate and nothing more as they expect a tradesman to know what needs doing and when.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

The handwheel and dial indicator arrived today.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Julie, I've been wondering how it's going. Any progress on the alignment?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    Julie, I've been wondering how it's going. Any progress on the alignment?
    +1 Every time I see the thread bumped I am hoping to hear angels singing about jointing perfection. It is almost as painful to watch someone go through this than it is to go through it myself.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Just curious also as I have mine set up, but am waiting for a power cord to arrive on Wednesday.

My security camera captured a bit of video of it being delivered and my Son and I getting it off the palette.

I also received the dial depth gauge today.

I know my in feed table is .005 out of alignment to the out feed. I'll probably spend most of tomorrow going through the adjustment manual.

I did make a little jig to align the rear fence bar setup easier. I cut a strip of wood 17mm thick and attached it to some plywood, clamped it to the table and then tightened up the fence rail.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    +1 Every time I see the thread bumped I am hoping to hear angels singing about jointing perfection. It is almost as painful to watch someone go through this than it is to go through it myself.
    Van,
    Can you hear the angles now? I purchased a lightly used A3 41 at the same time as Julie. It is a replacement for a 45 year old Makita 2030 (6" Jointer-12" Planner). I went through a lot of unnecessary pain in tuning my machine, all due to the extreme lack of documentation from Felder/Hammer. Thanks to all the folks here at SMC who chipped in with advice/documents and to Julie's Hammer Rep who finally came up with real setup docs I have my J/P setup properly, have processed a couple hundred BF of walnut and maple and the A3 41 has more than met my expectations.

These J/Ps with the segmented heads are something really special and I now have absolutely no regrets.

Regards - Bill

Chris, be honest that is just footage played in reverse of you and your son stealing one... I gotta admit repacking the J/P and having your accomplish show up dressed as a delivery driver really sells the heist!

Bill, I can hear your angel singing but we need Julie's singing also to get perfect harmony.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Not sure about Julie but I’ve still not tackled mine. Hurricane Michael threw me off schedule the last week. No damage but we spent a week prepping and cleaning up afterwards regardless. I did finish up my loft bed stair project so I’m ready to get back to the J/P now. Hope to get it sorted out one night this week or the coming weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    I know my in feed table is .005 out of alignment to the out feed. I'll probably spend most of tomorrow going through the adjustment manual.
    You have an adjustment manual??? If so, please share it! I've given up on Felder coming up with one.

Dan, no, nothing has changed. I don't want to experiment and find myself in a place I can't return from. I need to find Bill's thread again and follow that, when I have time. Right now I'm immersed in a project that should cover the cost of the JP and it's become a full time job and then some.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain