Page 42 of 47 FirstFirst ... 32383940414243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: Justifying A Major Tool Purchase

Greg, do as you like, but why exactly would you expect a separate jointer to be any different? It appears that the only issue Julie is having is that the infeed table needs to be adjusted. That could be the case with any jointer (separate or combo).

And Darcy, your implication seems to be that your otherwise very nice jointer has a milled-in-place infeed table that can never be adjusted? Seems like a deficiency to me

Blog Entries
    I wouldn’t write off all jointer planers, I have a Minimax FS41 ES and greatly enjoy the machine.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    I'm a picture person because I have the patience of a four year old. Plus I'm in the middle of trying to teach myself QGIS and preparing a 3D presentation I have to make tomorrow that could pay for the JP and then some.

Anyway, I just got this from Tim at Felder: http://upload.felcom.at/file/1538407...djustmentguide

I'm glad I waited. No way could I have figured this out without changing or adjusting something that didn't need it - and then have to figure out how to get it back. No Ctl-Z keys in real life.
    Julie,
    That is the Holy Grail! It would have saved me (and probably a significant number of other owners) a lot of time, trouble and aggravation. I can't help but wonder why Felder doesn't have it available on their website.

Thank you - Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    Festool manuals are pretty worthless too which lead the community to step up and make more detailed supplemental manuals. Maybe its a European thing to give us English speaking countries crappy manuals but take lots of money from us?
    Absolutely true!

Got the email this morning saying my A3-31 just arrived at the warehouse. Have to figure out when I can arrange to go pick it up and then MY fun begins!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by greg bulman View Post
    Thanks so much for this thread and Julie's message. It may have saved me any it $5000. I all but ordered this same machine two weeks ago. I am now looking for a separate jointer and planer.
    I think Dan is probably right about potential issues. To me, the main reason for going with two machines is time saving. No cranking the planer table up and down every time you switch from one operation to the other. But if I had the room I would have probably gone Powermatic separates.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McNiel View Post
    Julie,
    That is the Holy Grail! It would have saved me (and probably a significant number of other owners) a lot of time, trouble and aggravation. I can't help but wonder why Felder doesn't have it available on their website.

Thank you - Bill
    I know, Bill. Getting this information shouldn't be this hard. Felder really falls flat on their face in this category.

On the Felder's Owners Group, they have the same file but that's pretty much all they have for the A3-31.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    I think Dan is probably right about potential issues. To me, the main reason for going with two machines is time saving. No cranking the planer table up and down every time you switch from one operation to the other. But if I had the room I would have probably gone Powermatic separates.
    Wow, that's a big separate jointer, however as you said, really nice if you have the room..........Rod.

Chris Edwards was kind enough to share the files he received from his rep. I couldn't figure out how to upload them here so I put them on my website. Here are the links:

Service Tech Manual - Slider, JP, Shaper

JP Table Adjustment Guide

Handwheel Calibration

JP Guide Rail Setup

Why the heck aren’t these documents sent in paper format with the machine? My rails included just the exploded pencil drawn parts diagram and from there it’s up to user to figure out the rest. They obviously have these docs put together so why not send a printed copy or emailed copy with your receipt. I’m saving the, to my iPad so thanks for sharing I’ll go back through my whole machine at some point now. Thanks.

Again, thank you Julie for posting the files. And once again what is the deal with Felder and manuals?

BTW-I have been using my A3 41 extensively since getting it properly tuned (due to the extended downtime while I muddled through the process) and am super happy with its performance. Great machine, horrible manuals. Now, if Felder would just let me know the status of the planner locking handle that is "on backorder".
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 10-02-2018 at 5:49 PM. Reason: lanugage

Blog Entries
    I waited about two months for one part, it ships via boat from Austria if it's backordered (as far as I'm aware). So they likely only know that it was shipped and will find out again when it arrives in port.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I bought an A3-31 after following the first part of this thread, it's supposed to arrive tomorrow.

I've spoken with the Felder sales rep and he was quite concerned about the comments in this thread and those over on the Felder Owner's group regarding the tables and general setup.

He said they are in the process of looking into producing videos that go over the setup and adjustment of these machines, so we'll see.

Meanwhile, even prior to receiving my machine, he's been sending me all the available manuals in pdf format.

62 and already knew the answer but just felt like asking

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    62 and already knew the answer but just felt like asking
    Not bad, Warren. 62 and still a kid. I love it! I know I'll never grow up. No fun.