Page 23 of 47 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: Justifying A Major Tool Purchase

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty

Still no word from the carrier. Tim said they would be shipping today or tomorrow.
    ... almost sounds like what Santa would be telling one of his helpers just before Christmas! ��

Have fun with your new toy!

J
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 09-11-2018 at 5:55 PM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques Gagnon View Post
    Have fun with your new toy!
    Thanks, Jacques! I'm looking forward to reduce huge pieces of lumber to the size of a toothpick without disturbing the neighbors.

On another note, the Felder torque screwdriver arrived today. Tim came through pretty quickly. Thank you, Tim!

For anyone interested, here's the difference between the Felder and Wiha drivers. They look pretty much the same. Maybe Wiha makes them for Felder.
    Felder-WihaDrivers.jpg
    One thing I definitely like about the Felder is the nice storage case. If I purchase other tips for it, I can store them all together in the case.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Those plastic boxes are common in machining as the cutters come in them. Lots of kinds and sizes depending on the company. I have a couple nice ones big enough for a wine bottle. Find a CNC machine shop in your area and they may let you have a bunch. The company I worked for would throw out at least a drum full every month.

As an FYI the fernco adapter works. It’s snug enough to stay on the tool port but slip on and off as needed, and to hold the flex hose in place too I did put a clamp on the hose as I only intend to pull the machine side off as needed during transition

p3064705278-3.jpg

It's leaving Texas today and headed for Jackson, MS. Then on to Atlanta (maybe they will need a boat ) then to Orlando. Maybe early next week delivery?

I also received an email from Felder saying they kept the height of the pallet to a minimum. Thanks, Greg, for the heads up!

Excellent.

Are you impacted by the hurricane Julie?

Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Are you impacted by the hurricane Julie?
    No, we're pretty well clear of Florence. But from what I've seen, Atlanta could get a lot of rain from the storm, thus my comment about the trucker needing a boat.

I've got everything ready to go - plug and play.... The only unknown is the size of the pallet. It's a one car garage and on one side the TS juts out over 60". On the other side shelves and storage take up another 30" or so. If the pallet is wider than 4', I'll have a lot of scrambling to do. We get rain almost every day.

Didn’t measure but I’d guess my pallet took up a 5’ long x 2.5 to 3’ wide floor print.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 09-13-2018 at 12:08 PM.

That I can handle, as long as the pallet jack forks go into the narrow end.

The local carrier called and told me a very rare and expensive woodworking machine from across the Atlantic will be delivered Tuesday, the 18th. I was in the garage shop when they called and missed it. At the time I had a piece of wood in my hand that was about 1/8" too thick. Should I wait until Tuesday to plane it down? How will the Silent Power cutterhead compare to the DW735 on that pesky pecky Bolivian walnut that brought the 735 to its knees? Will the neighbors know I have a new planer? Or will they think there's a large mosquito in my workshop? Curious minds want to know!

Will it dim the lights in the neighborhood when you light it off?
    David

Julie,

I'm glad the your torque screwdriver made it down there.
    If you have any questions for setup of the machine do not hesitate to reach out to me and I can help you out.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    It's leaving Texas today and headed for Jackson, MS. Then on to Atlanta (maybe they will need a boat ) then to Orlando. Maybe early next week delivery?

I also received an email from Felder saying they kept the height of the pallet to a minimum. Thanks, Greg, for the heads up!
    Did they pass that information on to the carrier? The carrier added another pallet under my sliding table saw.

Well on mine it went under the long side but I had the double pallet. Not sure what yours will look like but hopefully it will go under the end if it’s just the factory pallet.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    That I can handle, as long as the pallet jack forks go into the narrow end.

The local carrier called and told me a very rare and expensive woodworking machine from across the Atlantic will be delivered Tuesday, the 18th. I was in the garage shop when they called and missed it. At the time I had a piece of wood in my hand that was about 1/8" too thick. Should I wait until Tuesday to plane it down? How will the Silent Power cutterhead compare to the DW735 on that pesky pecky Bolivian walnut that brought the 735 to its knees? Will the neighbors know I have a new planer? Or will they think there's a large mosquito in my workshop? Curious minds want to know!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Derr View Post
    Julie,

I'm glad the your torque screwdriver made it down there.
    If you have any questions for setup of the machine do not hesitate to reach out to me and I can help you out.

Tim
    Tim,

Welcome to the Creek! Thanks for taking care of things and for sending the Felder driver so quickly. I sent the Wiha back today.

If I have any questions, you're the one I'll call.

Thanks again,
    Julie

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Runde View Post
    Did they pass that information on to the carrier? The carrier added another pallet under my sliding table saw.
    I got an email yesterday from the Texas warehouse saying, "We made sure to keep the pallet at the height as you requested." I asked Tim to "keep it as low as possible" and he obviously sent that on to TX, but what that will be I won't know until it arrives.

That email also said the accessories (dial indicator and handwheel) are coming out of DE because TX didn't have it in stock.