Page 27 of 47 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Thread: Justifying A Major Tool Purchase

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sankovich View Post
    The power requirements of helical insert heads seem to parallel motorsports engineering (big bang firing order)
    R U one of those peg draggers? I think the analog would be the straight knife head is a big bang and the insert head is a screamer.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by brent stanley View Post
    The side by side comparison... What I'm curious about is how Felder managed to build a helical insert head where the power use goes DOWN....

B
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    I bet it is related to the low number of spirals they use. The Hammer heads only have two.
    The Flder head takes a continuous cut. The Byrd head takes a intermittent continuous cut. The intermitted continuous cut challenges shear loads. If you use Hyspot blue on the cutters and a piece of pine to put cutter reference in reverse you will see the continuous cut registry.

Depending on diameter Felder uses 2 rows for the Hammer line, Three rows for their Felder and four rows for their format. If Felder came on the market in 2012 and byrd years earlier, maybe they both have their own patent. Each have their own design and maybe their own design flaws or benefits. I have not seen a one to one documentation of the Felder silent cutterhead compared to a byrd Cutterhead with a continuous amp draw, decibel reading and chip load extraction demonstration.

Maybe stumpy nubs or anyone else could invest in this head-to-head comparison? I’d be interested in the read and well documented comparison!
    Last edited by Matt Mattingley; 09-17-2018 at 11:59 PM.

Felder and Byrd both have a flute extraction. Byrd is intermitting and Felder is continuous. Stumpy showed a V style that was in the prototype stage. I wonder what happened to it??? Stumpy also showed the old style straight blade insert non-shear at the beginning of his video. He did not give any performance reviews. I wonder why this is?

I for one, would never entertain swapping out my silent cutterhead for a Byrd. And then testing the two. Maybe stumpy nubs can do a video on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sankovich View Post
    The power requirements of helical insert heads seem to parallel motorsports engineering (big bang firing order)

Ha! That's how I relate it as well.

Regardless of the cut depth? Or only if you tried to take too much?
    When I replaced the straight knives in my DW with the Bird Shelix Head, I had to take a shallower cut on the same type/size material(s) in order to NOT trip the motor overload. Finish surface was superior, but it took more cuts/longer time to get your end product.

Unless you were only doing a skim cut for that final surface.

Clint

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Baxter View Post
    When I replaced the straight knives in my DW with the Bird Shelix Head, I had to take a shallower cut on the same type/size material(s) in order to NOT trip the motor overload. Finish surface was superior, but it took more cuts/longer time to get your end product.

Unless you were only doing a skim cut for that final surface.

Clint
    I've owned two of those DW machines and they're certainly an underpowered machine so it doesn't surprise me, with no power buffer, that the Byrd head might make a difference. I had a Byrd head on an Asian 4-poster for years and I was still always capable of taking whatever cut I wanted.

B

That's the common explanation for it....I have some additional thoughts, but Felder claims their cutterhead which also would have a tooth permanently engaged uses less power.
    yes it uses less machine power.

As Darcy indicated it uses more human power however to push the wood over the cutter than it does when you have a straight knife cutter.

I've had the opportunity to have 2 identical machines with new cutterheads at the same time, the insert head does require more push than the straight knife head. Every user of the insert head I spoke to have reported the same observation.......Regards, Rod.

The Felder Silent Power head is not patented.............Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post

As Darcy indicated it uses more human power however to push the wood over the cutter than it does when you have a straight knife cutter.

I've had the opportunity to have 2 identical machines with new cutterheads at the same time, the insert head does require more push than the straight knife head. Every user of the insert head I spoke to have reported the same observation.......Regards, Rod.
    Which to me translates into increased FLA of the motor. So to compensate for that, an increase in the HP of the motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Mattingley View Post
    The Flder head takes a continuous cut. The Byrd head takes a intermittent continuous cut. The intermitted continuous cut challenges shear loads. If you use Hyspot blue on the cutters and a piece of pine to put cutter reference in reverse you will see the continuous cut registry.

Depending on diameter Felder uses 2 rows for the Hammer line, Three rows for their Felder and four rows for their format. If Felder came on the market in 2012 and byrd years earlier, maybe they both have their own patent. Each have their own design and maybe their own design flaws or benefits. I have not seen a one to one documentation of the Felder silent cutterhead compared to a byrd Cutterhead with a continuous amp draw, decibel reading and chip load extraction demonstration.

Maybe stumpy nubs or anyone else could invest in this head-to-head comparison? I’d be interested in the read and well documented comparison!
    The Felder head has a continuous row of cutters, but the cut is not continuous. If it was, they would produce long ribbon chips like my RD, skew knife head, and according to the Felder boasts, it does not. It produces little chips that pack into your DC really well according to the marketing glam. We're talking about matters of degree here, It's not black or white. The difference is the Byrd head spaces their cutters but has another row engaged at the same time down the head further. The spacing may provide better chip clearance but would also evenly distribute the load along the length of the journal. The format line with more rows would have more than one row engaged at the same time too.

Once Byrd became really popular years ago, everyone and their dog wanted a part of the game and had a starting point for improving. Most produced were garbage but I think Laguna provided a head to a side by side comparison that performed better in one condition. The nice thing about the Felder head in a jointer is it's chip limiting.

B

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post

Well we've already acknowledged all of that Rod, the question was how does the Felder insert head use LESS power when it is also an insert head like the many other ones out there that have been shown to use MORE power than their equivalent straight knife head.

Watch this video from Felder. Right around the 5:40 mark they compare amperage load between the Felder head and one that looks like a shelix. Interesting video comparisons.

https://youtu.be/FVNWrF8XzpA

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    Which to me translates into increased FLA of the motor. So to compensate for that, an increase in the HP of the motor.
    Well he's saying it uses less machine power so with the Felder head you could use a smaller motor on the machine. As I said many posts back, my experience is the same as yours......more push on a jointer for an insert head but it's insignificant in a real world. Once I had my new head for a few days I never thought of it again. For a power fed machine it doesn't matter unless you're on the brink of being drastically underpowered, or you use your machine at it's power limits all the time. There are articles out there that show how the human sense of higher push is matched by the increased amp draw, all things equal. However, Felder claims a lower power consumption....and I expect they're not lying but I would like to understand how it is so. Perhaps they're saying lower power consumption vs other similar insert heads, but I THOUGHT they were saying It's lower than a 3-knife head.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    Watch this video from Felder. Right around the 5:40 mark they compare amperage load between the Felder head and one that looks like a shelix. Interesting video comparisons.

https://youtu.be/FVNWrF8XzpA

Aaah...that's better. I think they need better proof readers/copy editors. In some of their literature they make a long list of features of the head that are all as compared to straight knife heads and in that list is lower power consumption. So without telling the reader, they've changed to comparing to other insert heads....not the best writing.