Page 21 of 47 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: Justifying A Major Tool Purchase

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McNiel View Post
    On my first job as a Framing Super I arrived on site on a Monday morning to find two 6"x28"x30' glue-lam beams missing. I call the General Super and was told "if you find the guys who stole those beams, hire them. Anyone who could manhandle those suckers should work for us".
    Construction sense of humor
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Got the torque driver today. But it's not the Felder Silent Power one seen on their website. It's a Wiha. Coulda picked that up myself for about $40 less. Live and learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    Got the torque driver today. But it's not the Felder Silent Power one seen on their website. It's a Wiha. Coulda picked that up myself for about $40 less. Live and learn.
    Sorry.

At least it’s a good, known quality brand though.

Like Greg said, Wiha is a good, known brand. Myself, I'd be pissed. When this was discussed earlier, I felt you were right to get the Felder. Worth the extra to be sure you're using a tool that Felder has tested and approves of. But if they're gonna charge a premium for a specific tool, that's the tool you should get.

Blog Entries
    I’ve had one from Mac tools for 15 years. If you go by the book in setting up gears for a for an automotive differential, then you set it to an amount of drag based on an inch lb rating. Once you have experience in setting them, you can simply feel it. It’s sat in my tool box untouched since I bought it, the old boy who I worked for showed me how to set them up properly days after I bought the wrench. I later learned how to set them up to near zero drag for racing. I kept the wrench, it’s shiny.

So, don’t feel bad, at least you have a purpose for the wrench

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    Sorry.

At least it’s a good, known quality brand though.
    Did you get a Felder brand?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    Like Greg said, Wiha is a good, known brand. Myself, I'd be pissed. When this was discussed earlier, I felt you were right to get the Felder. Worth the extra to be sure you're using a tool that Felder has tested and approves of. But if they're gonna charge a premium for a specific tool, that's the tool you should get.
    I am POd. Give the customer what you advertise. I bought it through their e-Shop. Don't know if I have to go there or if I can contact the rep in DE I've been dealing with. I want what I paid for.

I didnt buy one. It comes with a regular torx screwdriver but I already have a nice torq wrench and torx bit drivers to use.

Did you get a Felder brand?

I'd have to give them credit for pulling that off.
    In Florida, anything is possible. And never underestimate a meth head.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    It's $150.......
    Right, I have wasted more on way less.

The screwdriver looks just like the Whia, except for the logo and color. I think felder one even says whia on the shaft. Not like felder is manufacturing their own tool.

agree Martin went to see a good custiomer on a sunday afternoon downtown toronto bright sunny day, come out to the wally wagon to get something and passenger window punched out nothing visible inside busted the glove box door 50.00 in change or more. Ten more cars done he just walked up the road punching one after another only not punching he had a tool to bend in and the window would explode from pressure on the outside edge of the glass. The only positive thing was he did my customers car as well. Thought for a second doing his bill total, delivery and set up plus one wallywagon window.

He probably had a spring loaded center punch. One click against a tempered glass window and it shatters. Lots of guys on the Fire Dept. carry them to get into cars fast.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    The screwdriver looks just like the Whia, except for the logo and color. I think felder one even says whia on the shaft. Not like felder is manufacturing their own tool.
    The one I got looks noticeably different than the picture shown on the Felder website. That's why I thought maybe Felder had theirs custom made.

Yesterday I sent an email about the driver to the DE rep. I also let her know the Logistics team, who she said would be contacting me Thursday, had still not done so. Let's see how she replies, if at all.

No response from Felder on last week's inquiry so I called the DE rep about no word from Logistics yet. She said she would look into it. As for the Wiha torque screwdriver they sent in place of what's on the Felder website, she said she'd have someone who handles e-Shop orders call me. Did I mention I hate having to nag people to do their job?

Just got a reply back on the JP. It's being shipped out tomorrow...