Page 7 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Justifying A Major Tool Purchase

Hi Ben, I have a 1.5HP Oneida cyclone and it works fine with a Hammer A3-31 12" jointer/planer.............Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    The Dewalt has a blower, if I'm not mistaken. I think that is the difference.
    My present DC worked with the Delta 22-540 for years at the old place, except for occasional blockage at one 90 elbow. I redid the elbow and that seemed to fix the problem. I ran that same planer in the new place, with a ductwork layout designed from lessons learned, without any problems for the first two years here. So, from my personal experience, I'm not seeing why there would be any issues unless, maybe, I pushed the JP to its limits.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

My planer is 16". 3hp is enough, but I would not have regretted more.

35gal drum is a PITA, I would much rather have 55gal.
    When I got my very first Oneida system it had the 35 gallon drum. That didn't last long...55 gallon since and I can fill that thang pretty darn fast, too, with the J/P! Is the stand yours is on adjustable in height? If I recall from my visit, it's on some kind of tripod or similar...

Rod, I had the 1.5hp unit at first, but had to upgrade after I got my J/P as it didn't have enough velocity to keep the duct work from plugging with certain material.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

It’s on a pipe stand. They sell pipe extension risers to plug on when using the 55 gal drum.

I have the metal 35 gal drum and it’s fine for me. I’m in a neighborhood with a very small yard though so dealing with 55 gals would be difficult with no easy place to dump it. I bag my current sawdust and give it away. Reuse the bags for a while since they are nice thick bags. I made a pvc riser for mine that allows me to have casters under my drum for ease of movement. Works great so far.

I dont really think the 5hp was needed for mine but it’s a small space. The 3hp seems fine but a larger drum would be nice in some cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    You guys satisfied with the suction of the V-3000 and just wish you had gone with the 55 gal drum? Or you're finding that the 3HP isnt enough for a 12"+ planer?
    3Hp is plenty, +/-1 cubic yard (200 gallon) bin is just about right; https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....deas&highlight=
    Last edited by John Lanciani; 08-21-2018 at 3:03 PM.

Jim, I'm lucky, I have 5 feet of duct to the J/P, and my cyclone has been modified from the internal filter to a much larger external filter. That helped the flow...........Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Jim, I'm lucky, I have 5 feet of duct to the J/P, and my cyclone has been modified from the internal filter to a much larger external filter. That helped the flow...........Rod.
    I had the external filter mod, too...but the run was a little longer. That system is still in daily use at a friend's shop...I bought it in 2000 so it's paid for itself more than once for more than one woodworker, IMHO. The bigger impeller on my 2hp Commercial (predecessor to the Gorilla) handles everything I ask it to, although at this point with the CNC, I wish for bigger so I could use it for more than one machine at a time effectively.
    --

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    When I got my very first Oneida system it had the 35 gallon drum. That didn't last long...55 gallon since and I can fill that thang pretty darn fast, too, with the J/P! Is the stand yours is on adjustable in height? If I recall from my visit, it's on some kind of tripod or similar...

Rod, I had the 1.5hp unit at first, but had to upgrade after I got my J/P as it didn't have enough velocity to keep the duct work from plugging with certain material.
    I think they make an extension for the stand. I may make that change before the next big milling job, dumping out that bin every few passes gets tiring.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    It’s on a pipe stand. They sell pipe extension risers to plug on when using the 55 gal drum.

I have the metal 35 gal drum and it’s fine for me. I’m in a neighborhood with a very small yard though so dealing with 55 gals would be difficult with no easy place to dump it. I bag my current sawdust and give it away. Reuse the bags for a while since they are nice thick bags. I made a pvc riser for mine that allows me to have casters under my drum for ease of movement. Works great so far.

I dont really think the 5hp was needed for mine but it’s a small space. The 3hp seems fine but a larger drum would be nice in some cases.
    I have 2x55 gal bags on my dust extractor, if I am in planning/thicknessing mode. both of these bags will be filled within an hour.

I dont dump my shavings/dust. I put them in a wheelie bin like this, they are 250litres, which is about 55gal. I have 4-5 bins like this, a lot tidier than a lot of dust/shavings floating around. I live in a suburban area too. I put them on social media for people to collect, for free.

IMG_3352.jpg

I am so gonna get that briquette press. stopping and opening up my dusty every hour is not fun.

The chips that an inset head makes are pretty easy to pull through a dust collector. Granular and small, they flow nicely and are more forgiving than what comes off of a straight knife.

The rare occasion we're planing hard, we'll fill a 55 gallon drum every five minutes. My lack of ability to clear sawdust from the hopper is the main reason I haven't put the moulder online yet. It will probably be worse than the planer.

I think they make an extension for the stand. I may make that change before the next big milling job, dumping out that bin every few passes gets tiring.
    Yea, worth it, IMHO. I actually stuck the motor of my Oneida unit up between the ceiling joists to insure I could get a 55 gallon bin under it with enough slack in the connection between the bin and the cone so that it wasn't arduous to empty.
    --

Blog Entries
    Hmm, I used to use a Ridgid shop vac with my 13 Delta planer & rarely had issues with it plugging up. I never took much more than about 1/32 off a full width board at a time though. There were lots more renegade chips that escaped though.

I too have a 35 gal drum & wish it was bigger, but the DC room only has an 8' ceiling, so I live with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    The rare occasion we're planing hard, we'll fill a 55 gallon drum every five minutes. My lack of ability to clear sawdust from the hopper is the main reason I haven't put the moulder online yet. It will probably be worse than the planer.
    Time to pull out the checkbook and purchase a rotary air lock. I love spending other peoples money!
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I got the OK to buy the A3 31 but now have some concerns.

> I'd be storing the JP with the width parallel to the wall and the 5' length coming out from the wall. With the mobile kit Hammer makes, the axle of the two wheels is perpendicular to the length. No matter how I imagine it, that configuration would complicate storing the machine. I'd probably need a different mobile base. But would it be stable with the turning wheels across the width?

> With all the talk about needing a larger DC, if that is truly necessary, purchasing the JP is out. No way I can afford the JP AND a new DC. Out of the question.

This is what I have right now (less the DW735 which is somewhere in UPS limbo)

If I replaced the 6" elbow with a T and came straight out of the T with an elbow, down the the JP with 6" hose, would this work? Or do you all feel there's no way a 3/4 HP cyclone DC with 30 gallon drum can handle a 12" jointer-planer?

I don't care about having to empty the drum often. When it's full, it's a challenge to dump the chips as it is now, and I'm not getting any younger. This will have to do.

If the jury is unanimous introducing a 12" JP to the existing DC system will never work, I'll have to plant a money tree out back.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Julie, check out this thread:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....-set-up)/page4

I had the same concern as you. I prefer the "great lakes" style casters. They are pretty strong fairly stable. The trick is to get good washers for the top of the stems. Over time, if the nuts loosen, the casters can sag. This will lead to permanent braking. DAMHIKT...

You will have to drill two holes and find a way to elevate the machine will mounting the casters. Unless you have a forklift

If you find your current dc fine with the DW735, then you shouldn't have a problem with the A3-31. For a while I ran mine connected to a 3/4hp portable single stage unit with poor filtration. It worked fine. In fact, i would argue it works better ((for the jp) than my current set up using a 3hp cyclone. The dust collection was fine, and the portable's bag was WAY more convenient to change.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 08-22-2018 at 8:37 AM.