Page 33 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

Thread: Justifying A Major Tool Purchase

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    That was my plan. As I proceeded to do that, I found a little plastic tab over the bottom screw that, if you try to remove it, will probably break off. And I figured if I persisted it would somehow void the warranty. Thus the JB.
    Same reason I didn’t. The manual says warranty will be voided if you open it. Would have made cleaner install though.

Felder needs to pull their heads outta somewhere in regards to that voiding the warranty.

I've ripped that garbage euro cord out of every machine that's come with it. Thin brittle insulation, and stiff. Not to mention no strain relief on them either.

Blog Entries
    I also find that baffling. Whoever owned my Felder mortiser also broke that seal and wired in a full length cord.

Minimax has a box on the machine.

p3079925158-3.jpg

Here you go.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post

Here you go.

I didn't say you were wrong. I was saying it was stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    I didn't say you were wrong. I was saying it was stupid.
    Oh, I know and agree. Just showing where I got the idea from though.

That warning was on my 1998 Felder mortiser. It had an incorrect electrical part and when I called I was warned about voiding the warranty. I asked if they wanted me to fix the machine myself or have them pay for an electrician to do it. Felder sent me the part and a discount on a feeder to do it myself. Warranty or not, I look inside the electrical box to see if there are any proprietary parts that will be a pain to replace. Been there, done that, not fun. Dave

I've had conversations with Felder people, and we've seen comments here, that left me with the impression once you receive delivery of one of their machines you become the mechanic. I asked about service people coming out in the event there's a warranty issue and was told Felder will provide help by phone, email and videos. But if you want a warm body from Felder to stop by and do the work, it will cost you.

So if you never anticipate paying Felder to send out a service rep, how can anyone say, "Sorry, you voided the warranty. I saw that little plastic tab broken off." It reminds me of the sticker they used to put on computer boxes.

I thought about that when I was checking it out. Then I look at the box that feeds the disconnect and don't see anything that would prevent you from opening that. For all intents and purposes you could tap into that bod and install your own disconnect. And maybe mount it at a height above what a crawling baby can reach.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    Here you go.
    Looks like all I had to do was make a call and get permission... Oh well, it's done now. Plus adding the box made grounding the mobile base easier. Had to do it some way or another.

That board looks great, Julie! I keep my jointer setup for a pretty small cut...about 1/32" which is about three quarters of a millimeter. It sometimes takes a few more passes on some boards, but it takes off less wood from the nice ones for the flattening process.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The fence-falloff-the-jointer-bed-issue is really annoying. Every time I push the fence back where those washers fall off the jointer bed, I have to practically pick up the whole fence assembly to get it back on again, usually from the back. The drop is a little more than 1mm but it's enough to catch those washers and stop the fence cold from moving forward.

I went through about 100 washers measuring the thickness until I found two that were 1.26mm thick. Checked them out and on the side where the washers slide it's just a hair short of being perfect. In order to make them work they had to be drilled out with a countersink bit.

This is what it looked like
    Fence_Issue_01.jpg

The washers on top were what I started with
    Fence_Issue_02.jpg

Before putting the cover back on
    Fence_Issue_03.jpg

After. The left side is where the plastic washers contact.
    Fence_Issue_04.jpg

I can slide the fence now without the plastic washers catching on that lip. But the fence still falls off the rail by about 2.5". I'm considering buying a 410mm rail to fix that problem.

I'm going to send Felder the bill. Think they'll pay.

Julie, you could put a "stop" on the fence rail to prevent it from sliding off the back (I'm thinking a screw would do).

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    Julie, you could put a "stop" on the fence rail to prevent it from sliding off the back (I'm thinking a screw would do).
    That's not the issue, Dan. If you want a full width cut, you have to push the fence all the way back. Yet when you reach 8-1/2" of cutter exposure, one of the plastic washers on the underside of the fence assembly clears the jointer bed and lands on a hinge cover. At that point the fence falls out of square. That's the issue I somewhat fixed above. But the fence is still a little out of square, it's better than before but still not square. Felder simply failed to design a hinge cover that would avoid that problem in the first place.

Those two plastic washers are the only thing keeping the fence square.

At 9-1/2" of cutter exposure, the end of the locking fence guide is flush with the end of the guide rail. I could gain another 3/8" if I push the guide rail back all the way but then you're only up to ~10" before the fence guide begins to clear the guide rail. Push it back another inch and the fence falls even further out of square. There is so much slop between the fence guide and guide rail sliding it back and forth will cause it to bind.

As I said earlier, the Unifence guide is far superior to Felder's guide on the A3-31. You wouldn't need plastic washers under the fence assembly to keep the fence square. Felder's fence guide is just a poor design.

Other than the hassle of having to move the fence back and forth a lot, it shouldn’t be an issue unless you are edge jointing an 10” or larger cube though, right? For face jointing, there should be enough wood riding on the bottom of the fence to work okay on a 12” board, and from there you can bring the fence back in to joint the edge. Pain but should work right?