Thread: Award

Award

At work we won an award for 'Special Achievement in GIS', a nice acrylic block with chamfered corners, but with light colored walls in the office it was really hard to read the writing on the award.

IMG_1289_small.jpg

I decided I would make a frame for the award to sit in and one that gave it a darker background to make it easier to read the writing.

IMG_1290_small.jpg

I chamfered the corners to follow the edges on the award and added some inlay to frame the writing on the award. It's made from walnut and the inlay is soft maple.

IMG_1293_small.jpg

This is the first project off of my workbench that I just finished. I used as many hand tools for the job as I could, this included the 5 1/2 to take the thickness down on the back piece, then the 4 to smooth it. I used the 140 for the rabbet on the inside-back edge. A handsaw to remove the bulk of the waste on the corners followed by a block plane to get them just right. I did use the table saw to rip the frame stock as well as cut the miters since I had not finished the 45 jig for my shooting board. All-in-all, a fun little project.

Thanks for looking,

Dennis

Beautifully done, Dennis. Matching the angles from the award was a really nice touch.