Thread: Looking for a furniture mover

Looking for a furniture mover

I'm looking for a mover to take a wooden rocking chair from Florida to Los Angeles - anyone know of how I can get this done without going broke?

I went to one website which promised to find quotes from several companies. The cheapest was $5,772. But they did as promised, there were several more quotes. All higher.

Thanks, Mark

Assuming you're going to properly crate the item, you should be able to get an LTL quote from U-Ship that's going to be a bit more reasonable. You don't want a "moving" company for this...you want a shipper. You'll need the dimensions and weight for the crated chair. (weight includes the crate)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Exactly what Jim says. I shipped a dresser to my son when he lived in Tucson. I built my own crate, making sure the dresser was secured inside and shipped it LTL. Be sure to check with several companies to get their rates. If your employer uses one, sometimes you can get the "company discount" for your shipment. The receiver can save money if the pick up the item at the local freight terminal.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Is it a Maloof chair?
    Aj

Blog Entries
    I think the best way is to build a crate. I have even resorted to building small crates and having them boxed up and shipped with a residential carrier on a recent project. It certainly offered a touch more piece of mind than normal cardboard or furniture blanket wrap.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Check with Fastenal

Thanks everyone. And to Andrew - no it's not a Maloof, it's a Thomas Moser.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gibney View Post
    Thanks everyone. And to Andrew - no it's not a Maloof, it's a Thomas Moser.
    Yum! One of my woodworking heros.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

UPS guidelines call for a combined girth plus length of no more than 165", and a maximum weight of 150 lbs. before surcharges. I would think a rocker's dimensions and weight would fall within these specs. Give your local UPS Store a call to double-check.

I have used U Ship twice.. VERY happy, both times was basically "white glove service"

You put out what you need hauled, and independent drivers bid.

Very similar to Ebay in that it is VERY important to read through their feedback.

Some of them are very solid and reputed, others, not so much.

You will also see that some of them specialize in moving certain things... Cars, Motorcycles, general household, machinery, etc.

Based on my experience, I would ballpark estimate you could get it done for very roughly approx $600.

This sounds like a piece worthy of crating.

Marc
    Last edited by Marc Jeske; 08-16-2018 at 12:53 AM.
    I'm pretty new here, not as as experienced as most. Please don't hesitate to correct me

If it is stoppable via UPS, be aware.. a friend with UPS account will be charged much lower rates than a walk in.

Marc
    I'm pretty new here, not as as experienced as most. Please don't hesitate to correct me

10 years ago I found a piece of exercise equipment in the street. It was rather larger then a rocking chair. I put it on eBay for local pickup only, but a woman on the opposite coast wanted it, and agreed to pay whatever it cost to ship it.
    I bought a custom double corrugated box for $150 and shipped it by truck for $150; all on top of the $450 she paid for the equipment.

Now... that was 10 years ago; things might be double by now; but certainly not $5,000.

Uship recent examples below... they also have a calculator somewhere on the site where you can input your data to get an immediate ESTIMATE based on recent completed shipments.

Again, worked great for me. Two huge speakers,Phoenix to E TX $275, and a Delta/Rockwell 12/14 FL to E TX, $425.

https://www.uship.com/cost-to-ship/h...ods/furniture/

Believe it or not: Bus may be viable. They do terminal to terminal service mostly. A light crate should protect it well and still be light enough to handle. Might check w/Grayhound on dimensions and weight. On the car sites I frequent, hoods, doors for classics are often shipped this way.
    As other mentioned, UPS can handle larger packages than most would think. Fedex is similar. I've shipped things right at the max a few times. Usually use a framework of wood/plywood and wrap it with cardboard staples in place with a roofing stapler.

2x2s with a couple of side covered with 1/8 ply (door skin) is amazingly rigid.

If you fill out the info to get UShip bids, again, from my experience.. If you look at the chair and estimate the crate, also logicaly estimate total weight, that should be totally fine.. just say "Estimated" or approx in your bid request.

Sure, if you have the exact info.. great.. I'm just saying you don't need to be delayed by not having exact info.

They are not at all like UPS.. where they want that info on the money.. pretty much anyway.

Most of carriers are guys w dualie diesels pickups w enclosed like "car hauler" trailers.

That is probably the most common rig on there.

The two carriers I used were very conscientious w the load...and took the time to carefully offload.

Better than I would expect on average.

Marc