Thread: Not for Sail

Not for Sail

This was my first natural edge bowl. Well the first thing, I left my non LED spot light on when I went to lunch. Cracked. So I enhanced the crack and filled it with aluminum mixed with epoxy. Maybe not the best choice. So putting a foot on the bottom too much tail stock pressure, put a hole in the bottom. I put it up on my "shelf of shame". It sat there for about 18 months, but needed to make room for other things. I thought of multiple fixes and even thought of burning. 11" diameter, 8" to top of sail. Cherry with transtint stain.

fullsizeoutput_66e.jpg
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

I REALLY like this. More ideas for presents.

I could see the sail being turned from a tall thin section of a deep bowl or goblet. Maybe even the wall of a hollow form?
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bergstrom View Post
    I could see the sail being turned from a tall thin section of a deep bowl or goblet. Maybe even the wall of a hollow form?
    The sail is thin veneer stained with white chestnut stain. It bowed when the stain was applied into a sail form. As I looked at the piece it just reminded me of a boat. Just a fun thing, needed to make room on my shelf of shame.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Great looking piece. Great save too.

Design opportunities abound! Sometimes it takes some soak time to become apparent. Great piece, it just wanted to be a boat! Well done.