Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A small Greene and Greene style side table

A small Greene and Greene style side table

I just finished this piece. Not a reproduction but it uses my take on G&G features. Honduran mahogany, African mahogany, ebony, and Pau abalone shell for the flower inlay.

finished table details - 1 (3).jpgfinished table details - 1 (5).jpgfinished table details - 1 (4).jpgfinished table - 7.jpgfinished table - 2.jpg

Very, very nice work Gary!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Very nice Gary. Interesting use of the ebony on the drawer box bottom edges. That and the waterfall leg treatment are both nice Gamble House-like touches. The flower inlays make it extra special. The mahogany color is great. What was your finishing protocol?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Nicely done Sir.

The finish protocol was to sand to 320 grit, then dye stain with Darryl Peart’s formula of General Finishes orange and medium brown 7:4, then 5 or 6 coats of Waterlox satin, skim sanded with 600 grit between coats.

I actually think I didn’t get the drawer details quite right so I’m making another one now. I’ll post an update when it is done.

..Very attractive, Gary. I love all the G&G details. It's definitely a focal piece.

Gorgeous! I like the Greene and Greene style influence! Well executed!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I’m a real G&G fan and I think you knocked it out of the park.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Thanks, folks. Here are a few more construction details.

I had the good fortune to take the Gamble House joinery tour led by Jim Ipekjian in May and came back with my head swimming with G&G details. One I wanted to try was this housed mortise and tenon shelf and leg construction from a table in the master bedroom. I got close, but not quite as refined as the Hall's shop did it.

Gamble House Tour - 157.jpghoused mt.jpg

For the aprons, rather than single boards, I used a frame and panel construction. That wasn't a common G&G design as far as I know, but the posts I added at the sides of the panels came from a Hall brothers library table that Darryl Peart wrote about a few years back in Popular Woodworking. The abalone inlay was a compromise of sorts. I had wanted to do a rambling rose design with silver stems and padauk flowers as seen in the Gamble House guest room, but I couldn't get the silver inlay to look good to my eye. So I went with a simple abalone flower without the vine. Kind of deconstructed G&G. I made a coffee table last year that sits in the same room as this table, and it has an abalone flower, too, so that feature helps unite the pieces.

A couple of other features: this has a dust frame and panel with drawer runners of American hornbeam let into the side stiles of the dust panel frame. The runners are replaceable if they ever wear out.

finished table - 8.jpg

Mortises for the 3/16" square pegs on the table frame were made with Lee Valley's square punches. For the drawer, the pegs are 1/8" square and that is smaller than Lee Valley's smallest punch, so those mortises were cut with a chisel.

Blog Entries
    Great looking table.....
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Wow - very nice work Gary. Impressive job on the housed mortise and tenon.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Excellent example of G&G. Thanks for sharing.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Beautiful! You noted that you used both Honduran and African mahogany. Which parts are which?

The top, shelf, apron panels, and drawer bottom are Honduran, from a single board. The rest is African (khaya) from several boards from the same stock. They were pretty different colors to start. The dying leveled that out mostly.

I'm pretty sure, anyway. Identifying the differences is not always so easy. The labels in the hardwood store just said "mahogany" for one, and the rest I got off Craigslist. But I did me best on research. I'd be delighted to be corrected/educated if I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Radice View Post
    The top, shelf, apron panels, and drawer bottom are Honduran, from a single board. The rest is African (khaya) from several boards from the same stock. They were pretty different colors to start. The dying leveled that out mostly.

I'm pretty sure, anyway. Identifying the differences is not always so easy. The labels in the hardwood store just said "mahogany" for one, and the rest I got off Craigslist. But I did me best on research. I'd be delighted to be corrected/educated if I'm wrong.
    Thanks. I like how the piece looks. Nice color and grain appearance.