Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A small Greene and Greene style side table

I finished the drawer version 2.0. I redesigned the ebony bands on the top and bottom so that the side bands extend all the way to the front, front band set between them and set back a bit. Then I rounded over the ends of the sides bands to match the rounded profile of the fingers. That is a more a unified look to my eye, compared to having the front band all the way side to side. Doing that meant re-orienting the half dovetail ebony joint, for which I got a better fit this time and the ebony didn't crack.

I re-proportioned the finger joints a bit, and also rounded the sides as well as the ends of the finger joints to give a deeper shadow line at the fingers.

I added some square pegs to the back joints, too, just because I could. G&G never did anything fancy to the back of their drawers, so this was mostly for my own amusement.

I made the bottom out of a solid piece of wood instead of the glued up pieces. The bottom is now from the same board as the top and shelf so the figure matches in all the horizontal surfaces.

I installed 16 brass pins instead of 12, four on a side instead of three, which looks better balanced to my eye.

I saved the pull from the old drawer.

NOW I can say it is done!

finished table details - 15.jpgfinished table details - 16.jpgfinished table details - 17.jpgfinished table details - 18.jpgfinished table details - 1 (7).jpg

Wow....nice!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    A subtle detail but, a giant leap in appearance. It is interesting that we sometimes react better to a piece without actually knowing why. Subtle details like this make a big difference to me visually. Well worth the effort and very well done.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Nice work. Love the choice of contrasting joinery materials.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Wow. Thats a lot of woodworking packed into a relatively small space! Nicely done.

Impressive and you have made good use of the G&G style to come up with a sturdy and beautiful piece of furniture.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

I have always loved G&G and this little table makes me want to make one of my own. Great details, and a lot of effort went into this beauty. congrats on a fine build.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

very nice Gary. Are those brass pins cut from a rod, or brass screws with top ground down?

Stan, those are #6 screws. I drilled the holes first, then I screwed the screws in up to the shaft, then used a jeweler's saw to cut off the heads, then carefully filed the stubs flat, then sanded smooth. According to Jim Ipekjian, that's approximately the way the Hall brothers made this detail. Apparently on some of the original G&G pieces, you can still see a bit of the screw slot that wasn't filed completely flat. It sounds fussy but actually it goes pretty fast. I timed it and once I got going it took about 3 minutes to do each one.

Michelle, you should jump in and try your hand at a G&G piece. This is my second and it is the most fun woodworking I've had. So many little details to discover when you make one that you don't notice when you just look at them.

Joel, you are correct that there is a lot of woodworking in this. I said the same thing to myself as it was going along. There were a lot of small pieces to shape, especially with the posts and rails. Kind of like a jewelry box on legs.

One small detail that I didn't mention is that the legs have a very slight entasis. They flare about 1/32nd from the top the the bottom shelf on the outside edges, and then 1/32nd again to the bottom of the outside edges of the feet. It is very subtle but noticeable and gives a little extra feeling of groundedness. Makes it look a little less tippy.

And for reference, the top is about 15" square. It is 21.5 inches tall.

Very nicely done Gary, looks great!

Wow! You did a wonderful job, Gary. I love the detail in the table.