Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mirror/Shelf and a coffee table

Mirror/Shelf and a coffee table

I primarily do carvings but thought some might be interested in this mirror /shelf key holder I built along with the coffee table . There are more “in the process shots” on the woodcarving forum. Walnut with lacquer finish.
    The Woodworking Studio

Really outstanding work! Beautiful!

Some of the carvings remind me of a couple of pieces that Professor Dr. SWMBO has from the days her family was in Thailand while growing up.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'm pretty sure that is the finest radiator cover. And covering the top reduces the perceived depth of the radiator and makes the verticals decorative.

Thanks guys . Yes, there are some fine carvers in Thailand !
    The Woodworking Studio

Mark, the carvings in the table top are what really made me think of my spouse's stuff as mentioned...the style jumped out for some reason! Very nice work for sure and I'm glad you shared it all with us.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    You are not a woodworker...…. You are an Artist.

Beautiful pieces.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Very kind of you to say. Thank you .
    The Woodworking Studio

Blog Entries
    You have a gift Mark. Wood carvers tell me that to carve a horse, all you have to do is remove everything that doesn't look like a horse. I think they're teasing me because I have no ability in that area
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thank you Glenn!
    everyone over time has used a variant of that description without acknowledging the original source. It was Michelangelo saying how to make a statue. Get a block of marble and remove everything that doesn’t look like your statue!
    The Woodworking Studio

Incredible work, Mark. I hope your artistry keeps the lights burning, so to speak. I have dabbled in carving with just scraps of wood.

Is there guidance for selecting wood grain patterns that are more easily carved. I have struggled with maintaining a good surface at transitions in the grain direction.

Thanks for sharing!
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Blog Entries
    Very, very nice work. It is a beautiful piece. I have some fear it may suffer from the heat from the radiator in the colder months.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thank you David! Very thoughtful of you. Yes in fact carving has kept the lights on sufficiently enough to raise 2 kids, a stay at home wife, parochial schooling and both through college. Can’t really complain being able to “not have a job” by doing something I love for 28 yrs or so. And was with them daily as my studio is at my home. They’re off on their own and married now.

But as far as patterns go that might work with the grain so to speak doesn’t really happen. Carving by its nature goes in all directions and across and around grain. Sooner or later you’ll be cutting from all angles and directions. Sharp tools generally negates any problems even to the point where you can carve against the grain.
    And, some woods lend themselves a bit better ( bass for example) to easier carving but in making a living carving all woods is the norm .

By the way David , what is/was it you’re carving that gave you trouble? Maybe I can offer some advice.
    Last edited by Mark Yundt; 08-14-2018 at 3:08 PM.
    The Woodworking Studio

It’s possible but I’ve done similar things and the key is to allow for wood movement. Wood always moves but more so in this case I’m sure. But here you can’t glue , screw or whatever and try to keep the pieces rigidly in place. I’d guarantee it’ll break itself apart.
    Last edited by Mark Yundt; 08-14-2018 at 3:14 PM.
    The Woodworking Studio

A few examples of stressful conditions for wood could be these 2 fireplace mantles. One isn’t installed in the photo. They’re still solid. And the desk. All solid wood, no ply or veneers. All grain is orientated in the same directions from the dividers to the drawer buttons to allow it to move. The entire top (from the writing surface up) is held to the frame /skirts by long dovetails cut into the bottom surface that align with the two side frames that have matching dove tails cut along their top edge. The entire top now slides on from the front, is held fast with the dovetails and yet is free to float as it expands and contracts as the wood moves. It can’t break itself apart . And the books I carved? If you remove the two drawers and swap slots the opposite drawer trips a lock I designed ( in wood) that releases the books to reveal a hidden storage area behind them. Otherwise they’re held tight.
    Why is this stressful for this piece? It’s sitting in a greenhouse. And as the temp and humidity changes you can hear the wood move. But all these years later it’s still solid.
    BTW, notice the curved dovetails both top and on the frame ? I didn’t do those thank heavens my friend did. Mind numbing.
    Last edited by Mark Yundt; 08-14-2018 at 3:44 PM.
    The Woodworking Studio

Mark, your understanding of wood movement seems inspired by Bruce Hoadley