Thread: Nomad 883

Nomad 883

Well I just jumped into the CNC world and now have this little guy sitting on my workbench.

IMG_2682.jpg

It's been a fun couple of weeks learning the ways of the CNC world. I look forward to continuing my education!

One day I when I graduate, I hope to have a nice 4x8 CNC gracing my (will have to be a new house) shop!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Congratulations and welcome to the CNC world! BTW, I believe that Winston Moy on YouTube has a Nomad in his stable of Shapeoko machines and he somewhat specializes in smaller projects. If you haven't already watched any of his content, you might enjoy it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Congratulations Chris on your new CNC Router. Its great to see so many new CNC Operators this year and to see our CNC Forum grow. There are now four of us on the SaMill Creek Staff who own CNC Routers, that pretty cool. I hope you got the CNC Forum pictures, lots of good ideas on that thumb drive.

Thanks, Jim, for the pointer and Keith, I do not have the CNC Forum pictures...kinda been AWOL 'round here a bit as you know! LOL ugh....

So what I'm learning is that properly-coded toolpaths are absolutely key in CNC. That might be a 'duh' to most of you here.

Choosing the right tool, the right spindle rpms, the right feed-rate, the right plunge-rate, the right step-over, and the right plunge-depth for your CNC's power for the material you are working makes one dizzy. It also makes for a lot of failures (i.e. learning experiences) as you wade through all this.

GWizard from CNC Cookbook has helped me out quite a bit so I wanted to give a shout out the Bob Warfield over there. Check it out if you aren't aware of it.

Fun Fun Fun !!!

Congratulations... It gets easier quickly but as you say its always a ton to get your head round. I find myself often thinking about smaller machines for work that is better suited. Running a larger machine on smaller work is expensive. If the work were there I could see us with an array of them lol.

Have fun.. looks like a great machine.

Congrats Chris. CNC is a lot of fun, especially as a hobby. Is your software capable of converting STL files? I have a few I could send to you. If/when you go bigger, you'll have a lot of options to chose from.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Hey Bruce!

Sketch-Up has an .STL file plugin and Nomad comes with MeshCAM that sets up toolpaths/G-code and Carbide Motion--the machine controller. So thank you for your kind offer...maybe one day I will need something else and I'll hit you up!

Here is a screenshot from MeshCAM and one of me cutting out this rather interesting shape. It is wild to think we can make such geometries!

funnel.jpgIMG_2696.jpg