Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Off Topic(?) Software Question

Off Topic(?) Software Question

I purchased a new computer and Corel Draw in Feb and spent 7-8 weeks learning to navigate and solve simple problems. Enough so that I felt ordering a laser was not an insane move on my part. I was concerned about the software because in 2017 I spent a fair amount of time failing to learn enough to utilize Solid Works. I will mention that we didn't have a user's manual, just some videos which I didn't find all that helpful and, my fault, I didn't go to Youtube which I did do with Corel. So my question is "How much more difficult is the 3D software used with a CNC router"? I look forward to any thoughts/suggestions you many have. This forum has been a great resource! Thanks so much

Steve
    You might get a better response on the CNC forum. I'll move the thread if you like.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Solid Works is insanely complex for a first package, something like Rhinoceros is a lot easier (and a LOT cheaper) for a first foray into 3d modelling
    You did what !

I'm not sure Rhino skills will translate super well to SolidWorks. There's definitely some overlap but they're kinda different tools for different things.

I'd try Fusion360, it's 1)free for light commercial use under 100k in revenue, 2)parametric, meaning you can do real engineering designs with it easier than the freeform stuff, and 3)capable of doing some of the more freeform work for more organic shapes.

It really depends on what you need to do with the CNC router. Doing a lot of freeform/organic stuff? Rhino is fine, Fusion360 may be OK. Doing a lot of complicated assemblies that need tight tolerances to align everything, and need to be able to modify dimensions later on and interface with other components? Parametric CAD is the way to go.

I agree Solidworks is a bad call to begin with. It's FAR too expensive to just pick up on a whim. It's a good program to be sure- but save your money and go with Fusion360 if you're not sure you want to stick with it.

(Side note: I am a proficient parametric CAD user but haven't used Rhino, though I am generally familiar with how it works.)

Please note that with the 3D CAD software you'll also need 3D CAM if you're not using a tool such as Autodesk Fusion 360 which has an integrated CAM tool.

There are a lot of different approaches to 3D modeling, suited to different projects. Some interesting tools which you may want to consider:

- Moment of Inspiration --- this is a freeform 3D modeling tool which was designed to work with graphics tablets
    - Solvespace --- a free / opensource parametric CAD program like Solidworks, it has a couple of tutorials online which make it more approachable
    - OpenSCAD --- this is a programmatic modeling tool which can be used for parametric design

Probably the easiest to use 3D CAM tool is MeshCAM, but there are lots of those to choose from as well.

I would second Fusion 360 and its free for those of us making less than 100K a year. I also use this package > https://www.punchcad.com/punch-viaca...wnload-windows $129 to purchase. What I often do is design in 2D and then Extrude it into a 3D one. VCarve Pro Version 9.xx will do 3D, not as full featured as its big brother but its half the cost.

For 3D printing there are a number of programs to use, some are free but I use Simplify 3D.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Thank you Mike, I appreciate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Steve
    You might get a better response on the CNC forum. I'll move the thread if you like.

Vectic's Aspire is also a popular package for 3D work in CNC, although it's not optimal for some things. Fusion 360, Rhinoceros and SolidWorks are better for some types of work in that respect.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Bert McMahan View Post
    1)free for light commercial use under 100k in revenue,
    Are you sure this is actually true? I see clearly in the qualifications for the free version and on the website that it says "free for _startups_ generating <$100k/year in total revenue or wholly non-commercial users:".

However in the TOS is says:

Startup: If your entitlement has been designated as “Startup, ” You may use the service if You are (a) a company, startup, or home-based business that generates less than $100,000 (or equivalent in other currency) per year from the total sale of goods or services, or (b) an individual using the service for personal non-commercial projects, hobbies, or personal learning.

It would seem the term "home based business" is the real clincher. Im sure the OP qualifies but it is commonly thrown out that Fusion is free to all if you make less than 100K a year. Thats not true if your a business with a physical address under 100K in gross sales.

I'll add to the Fusion 360 group - I like the software. But I don't do any 3D carving of people, animals, etc. even though Fusion 360 is more than capable of doing that type of work. But I'm home-based and definitely earn under $100k. I'd like nothing more than to have to pay them because we pulled in over $100k, though! That would be awesome!

David
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by David Falkner View Post
    I'll add to the Fusion 360 group - I like the software. But I don't do any 3D carving of people, animals, etc. even though Fusion 360 is more than capable of doing that type of work. But I'm home-based and definitely earn under $100k. I'd like nothing more than to have to pay them because we pulled in over $100k, though! That would be awesome!

David
    I dont disagree David. But its continually tossed out that its free period for sub 100K users which isnt really true. Startup, home based, and the dollar amount, is something I would venture to guess a LOT of people are lying about.

So ignoring the cost for the moment......How difficult is Fusion 360 compared to Corel? Twice as difficult, 4 times as hard? In the beginning I see myself cutting letters/script, basic relief patterns with animals, footprints, crosses, etc. Not high tech, very high tolerance, projects. Any input considering those paramters?

I've been using CorelDraw since version 2 and I'm on X8 now. It's my go-to program for anything to do with graphics so things like you're talking about almost always start for me in CorelDraw. Relative to most folks I know who use CorelDraw I'm an expert but relative to the 'real' experts in CorelDraw I'd be lucky to fit the Intermediate category.

Once I've tweaked or modified my graphic to the point I want in CorelDraw I export it as svg and bring it into Fusion 360. It took a few times to get it right but I now have the units and scaling down to the point I can hit dimensions pretty close during the import into Fusion 360.

To be clear, though, 99% or more of what I do is 2D. And the learning curve on Fusion 360 for me wasn't that bad once I got out of the 'this is the way it works in CorelDraw, why can't I get it to work in Fusion 360' mode. There were some very simple things I missed in learning Fusion 360 that now are second nature to me and very easy to do fairly quickly.

David
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

For the sort of stuff which you describe, just drawing things up in CorelDraw, then doing the CAM in a suitable tool should work fine --- Vectric Vcarve is the usual suggestion, but there are lots of other software options for CAM, and as David noted, Autodesk Fusion 360 will import a vector file to do CAM.

Fusion 360 and other 3D capable products have a bigger learning curve than 2D or 2.5D software, IMHO. That's really because of the different and additional thought processes that go into things. The good news is that there is a wealth of educational material available to help with the learning.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...