Thread: 8" grizzly jointer on craigslist

8" grizzly jointer on craigslist

There is a G1018 8" jointer on craigslist near me for $800. Looks like there is no rust and was very well maintained. It also includes a mobile base. I have only worked with dimensioned softwoods up until now and have not needed a jointer or a planer but I want to start making things out of more hardwoods. Is this a good jointer for the money? altoona.craigslist.org/tls/d/8-grizzly-jointer/6664620932.html
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 08-13-2018 at 11:58 AM.

Eric, I think its a good jointer but it is on older model. They came with 2HP motors 3HP is an (unnecessary) upgrade.

If jointers don't come up all that often, then you may not be able to get him down on the price.

I use 1/2 the price of a new one as a reference point. That depends of course, on condition, type of machine, how bad I need one, etc.

Blog Entries
    Imho it's way to high in price for a older grizzly. The current version of that jointer it $985. 450 to 500 would be reasonable.

You're looking at a long wait for a new one should you choose to go that route. If the beds are flat and there are no electrical issues, this is a solid machine. 8" jointers don't come up often in the PA area. My guess is you won't get him down on the price much, but go have a look. Bring a friend, that thing is heavy!

$985 and a couple month wait. That may be a large factor for Mr. Stoltzfus - what say you sir?

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sankovich View Post
    Imho it's way to high in price for a older grizzly. The current version of that jointer it $985. 450 to 500 would be reasonable.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sankovich View Post
    Closer to $1200 by the time you get it to your door but, I agree with Jared's valuation. There is also the problem Grizzly is having delivering product lately. I might pay a bit more as it looks very well cared for and the mobile base and extra set of knives equal out to actual dollars you would have to spend. I think somewhere around $650 is where I would have to keep looking.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by William Chain View Post
    $985 and a couple month wait. That may be a large factor for Mr. Stoltzfus - what say you sir?
    I still say it's over priced.

Here is a delta dj 20 for the same money and a bit longer drive. It's worth easily double the old grizzly.
    delaware.craigslist.org/tls/d/delta-dj-20-8-jointer/6653534487.html
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 08-13-2018 at 11:59 AM.

I found(for a friend) that same model on CL for $450 but consider myself very lucky to get it at that price. I think the $600 range would still be a great buy. We installed a Grizzly Spiral head and he can't be happier. I think the guard on his is a little crappy but the one pictured looks better.

It's all about the tables- flat and coplanar. There isn't an easy way to adjust the wedges but moot if coplanar. DJ 20 is a better design but the machining on its tables isn't much better than on a Grizzly. Being able to measure and examine the tables is a big deal in my world as I have little faith in the QC of lower end jointers. Dave

I have that jointer and have been satisfied using it. Not a lot of fancy features, but a good unit. Price is outrageous though. He is asking about what he paid for it new. Brian

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Closer to $1200 by the time you get it to your door but, I agree with Jared's valuation. There is also the problem Grizzly is having delivering product lately. I might pay a bit more as it looks very well cared for and the mobile base and extra set of knives equal out to actual dollars you would have to spend. I think somewhere around $650 is where I would have to keep looking.
    And prices are just going to keep going up!

I think cheap tool prices are going to the wayside...
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

There’s a G0586 for $300 in Canton MI.

I made him an offer for 700 but he rejected it. I don't really have money to make a large purchase like this right now, as a certain cnc machine is sucking up all of my spare cash.