Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying used 6” Jointer & 12” planers

Where does the op live, USA? I have a 6" jointer I would like to sell.
    Bill D

I live in Jacksonville FL.

Actually, I went a few days with the DW734 and was finding that chips were getting stuck in the chip
    extract chute. And the. Dropping down onto rollers and leaving impressions on my boards.

I replaced the unit to Lowe’s for another. Opened it up and saw that the foam seal on the tool tray fell out.
    The glue that holds it on deteriorated. I called tech support and they said probably due to it sitting in stock
    may Lowe’s for an extended period caused it.

Long story... I ended up just ordering a Cutech 40600H-CT. Looking forward to spiral cutter heads.

Congrats on the Cutech, Adam. I think you'll like it.

Be advised, though, it doesn't have a true "spiral head" like what you'd see on a Byrd head. The cutters hit the wood at a straight angle, as opposed to slicing at an angle. What this means is that you will see some tearout on figured wood where the grain changes direction. Not as bad as long straight knives, but it's still a factor at times.

It's not as loud as the Dewalts, but you'll still need ear muffs.

You'll probably see some "wayward" chips left on the table after a cut. Dust collection is pretty good, depending on what you're using, but not 100%. Just blow them away before doing the next cut, or you may see them getting impressed into the wood.

Thanks Nick!

I should have it by Friday. Ultimately, I’m glad I got this one.
    its just a step down from their “pro” model.

From what I’m seeing, it’ll be more efficient in terms of adjusting for
    a nicked blade. Also, if I feel the need, I can upgrade to carbide tips.

Their sale today was the planer plus a stand for 499+shipping (no tax).

It certainly appears to have much better dust collection than the 734.

Ive got a 16 gallon 6.0 peak Hp shop vac which should suffice.

Looking forward to getting back to making bass guitar necks...

I think you'll like it, and will be surprised how quickly 16 gallons of chips accumulate. Good luck to you!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    I think you'll like it, and will be surprised how quickly 16 gallons of chips accumulate. Good luck to you!
    Hey Nick,

I believe my planer drama is over.

I received the Cutech 40600H-CT today, and I got it set up and cut snipe free
    on my first pass at leveling the extension tables.

One minor issue was the dust port had a crack in it, but a quick call to Mike in tech support resolved that.
    He said he’d ship me a new one tomorrow, and to email him if any other parts needed to be replaced tonight so he could have it all set for tomorrow.
    Very accommodating!

I have to say the quality of this planer is hands down better than the two DW734’s I returned.

That cutter is great even though it’s not hellical.

All in all it feels like a very precise tool. The extension tables are shorter and it doesn’t have a locking
    mechanism for the four posts either.

Anyway, thanks for your feedback/advise!

Adam

Sounds good, Adam. Agree about Mike, he's always been responsive and honest with me. I had some questions before buying and he helped a lot.

When you had the 734, did you have the dust chute attached to the planer but without a DC hooked up? That would create problems since the chips have nowhere to go. A shopvac might not move enough CFM to solve the issue, it needs a fair amount of air movement. But if you can get enough CFM the dust collection on the DW734 is excellent, I get practically 100% collection with a 2 hp cyclone- it's the best tool in my shop as far as chip collection goes.

Before I had the DC I ran it with the dust chute removed, let it spray chips everywhere then cleaned up afterwards. Not exactly fun, but I had no issues with any chips getting caught back in the planer and leaving marks.

The Cutech seems like a nice machine, hope you enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hazelwood View Post
    When you had the 734, did you have the dust chute attached to the planer but without a DC hooked up? That would create problems since the chips have nowhere to go. A shopvac might not move enough CFM to solve the issue, it needs a fair amount of air movement. But if you can get enough CFM the dust collection on the DW734 is excellent, I get practically 100% collection with a 2 hp cyclone- it's the best tool in my shop as far as chip collection goes.

Before I had the DC I ran it with the dust chute removed, let it spray chips everywhere then cleaned up afterwards. Not exactly fun, but I had no issues with any chips getting caught back in the planer and leaving marks.

The Cutech seems like a nice machine, hope you enjoy it.
    Hi Robert,

Theres a possibility that the shop vac was under powered. I did notice that some chips tended to collect on
    the left side when I was cleaning/inspecting. It’s kind of late to know since I’ve returned them.
    They both seemed not brand new or as the service person said at DeWalt, could have been old stock that sat
    at Lowe’s (why some of the foam fell apart from the dust chute/tool tray).

It was a nice tool even though I had issues with it.

The Cutech on the other hand seemed brand spankin new.
    So far I really like the spiral cutter head. I took my time and got the tables levelled
    and haven’t seen any snipe yet. I haven’t done a lot with it yet because I needed to get a mobile
    platform built. I’ll do more in the next few days though.

Thanks for your feedback
    Adam