Thread: Which Type of Brad Points to Buy?

Which Type of Brad Points to Buy?

I felt like biting the bullet and getting a good set of brad-point drill bits. I figured I would just see what people recommended and order a set. Unfortunately, NOTHING IS EVER SIMPLE.

It looks like W.L. Fuller makes highly regarded drill bits. Fine. I believe it. But if you want to buy a set, they come in two lengths (long and short, obviously) and different shank diameters. Now I'm paralyzed, trying to figure out which to get.

When it comes to machining, short drills are usually better, for more than one reasons. I am wondering if the same is true of wood drills. Short drills tend to be more stable and so on, but on the other hand...short. I can't recall ever drilling a hole more over 2" deep in wood, but maybe the need will become obvious right after I order a set.

As for shanks, it appears you can get them in 3/8" diameter. This would look funny on a skinny drill bit, but on the other hand, one would think the bits would be less likely to spin in the chuck because you can apply more torque to a big diameter without slipping.

What's the answer, if you want a serious set for all-around wood use? I don't have a particular job in mind. I would just like to know that when I need to drill a hole in wood, I will USUALLY have the right tool on hand.
    Cry "Havoc," and let slip the dogs of bench.

I was socially distant before it was cool.

A little authority corrupts a lot.

Fuller makes great bits , I’d get the long ones. IF you ever need to bore in cramped quarters you can always go buy a individual bit for that purpose.

I would say, Don't over think it. Having a set of drill all with 3/8 shank would be weird. I say that just because I've never seen any like that.

As for the brad point, what are you drilling? My (cheap) set are just kike standard drills, shank is the same size as the drill bit. Never have had a problem with any drill spinning in the chuck, (other than drilling steel, which won't happen with a brad point!) and I just use a keyless chuck on my cordless.

Just my 2 cents...
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

I was stupid when I got my first set of quality metal bits. I went for jobber length, and then I found out screw machine length (stub drills) was the way to go. I can just see myself splurging on wood bits and then finding out everyone else bought something different.

Lee Valley have a great selection of brad point bits, they're very well ground...........Regards, Rod.

"In general" a shorter bit is going to be more stable and likely have less run-out. The question really is if you need deeper holes frequently or not. I happen to like the "shorties" I have (cheep and need replaced) because they, well...are short and nimble. But they are not usable for some tasks for obvious reasons. Ideally, I'd have both short and long bits. But if the choice is only one length for budget, then I'd go with the longer ones. You can drill a shallow hole with a long bit, but you really cannot drill a deep hole with a short bit.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for all the replies.

One thing is certain: no matter which bits I buy, the first job that comes up will require the other kind.

Lee Valley have great brad point bits.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve H Graham View Post
    One thing is certain: no matter which bits I buy, the first job that comes up will require the other kind.
    True Dat!!!!!!!!!!!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Steve

Give WL Fuller a call on the phone. They're really nice people and everyone there, that can answer a phone, is pretty well versed in their product lines. If they don't have it, they can make it. They may even be able to make you up a set and quote you. The Rhode Island accent might get you at first.
    Seriously though, drill bits are their business. They're good at it.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

The Fuller bits are what I've purchased for the past 20 years. I have several of their sets (fractional, letter, wire, etc). But my favorite is my set of jobber length brad point bits. High quality, good point geometry and they always seem to get the job done.

The Price is right and if you just want a small set, Consider https://www.montanabrandtools.com/pr...oint-drill-set. Made in the USA. I get them at Menards all the time since they are on sale a lot. Don's see them today at Menards though. Very sharp, use them with my Jessem Dowel Jig. I also like their plug cutters. Dan

I'm with brad point bits the same as I'm with Forstener bits. Buy a cheap set. Keep a score card in box, and write down each time you use a size. When you have used one size five times, go buy a good one. As with any set, there will be ones you seldom use. I new ten year old bits in my sets that I have never used.

Another vote for the Lee Valley set. Been very nice so far.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!