Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Knee pads

I actually have the 'No Cry' pads and they work better than most. They are comfortable wearing them for long hours. I use them installing fixtures where we put in 10 - 12 hour days. The only issue I have with them is one, just one, won't stay in place. The other one never moves around though so go figure. I have several other pair that work OK too, but I have no idea on the brand. I think the No Cry were about $20 through the Big Gorilla, Amazon.

All of the make you sweat a great deal. Once they have been on for 3 - 4 hours my knees are soaked.

Good Luck.
    I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love.... It seems to me that Montana is a great splash of grandeur....the mountains are the kind I would create if mountains were ever put on my agenda. Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans. Montana has a spell on me. It is grandeur and warmth. Of all the states it is my favorite and my love.

John Steinbeck

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Blatter View Post
    I actually have the 'No Cry' pads and they work better than most. They are comfortable wearing them for long hours. I use them installing fixtures where we put in 10 - 12 hour days. The only issue I have with them is one, just one, won't stay in place. The other one never moves around though so go figure. I have several other pair that work OK too, but I have no idea on the brand. I think the No Cry were about $20 through the Big Gorilla, Amazon.

All of the make you sweat a great deal. Once they have been on for 3 - 4 hours my knees are soaked.

Good Luck.
    What kind of fixture do you install. I installed fixtures for Revco and CVS drug stores and know how much time you are on your knees.

3. I feel for you...been a carpenter for over 30 years and at some point recently I had to inform myself at what a moron I am for having not worn knee pads since the beginning.

anyway, long story short, the following are the best I've found for real day in day out use: https://www.lowes.com/pd/AWP-HP-Non-...ads/1000177327

they tend to stay on fairly well and not slide down your legs like most all others do, they are very comfortable and do the job...I pretty much wear them ANY time I anticipate being on my knees, even if for a moment or two.

Being in a business that requires crawling under houses, I have a pair of "hard shells for that. Inside, I use a "gel " pair. Don't ever think about using ones from under house on interior floors, unless you want to buy customer a new floor. Embedded dirt will scratch the heck out of a floor. DAMHIK. Having replacement knees (5+ years now) it's more important to figure how I getting back up, BEFORE getting own on my knees. Those foam kneeling pads are handy, along with PLUSH carpet samples, which usually can be had for free. Everybody should keep a carpet square in their car for changing a tire.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I've come to the point in life where my knees won't take much crawling around on the floor. My recent partial knee replacement has made the situation worse. I still want to be able to do work around the house and other work that requires some kneeling. I'm looking for a set of knee pads. I see good reviews on the No Cry pads from Amazon, but there are some negatives too regarding durability.
    Attachment 391409
    I also see decent reviews on the Rigid Pro hinge stabilizing knee pads from home depot, but complaints as well about durability and comfort.
    Attachment 391410
    Any other suggestions?

I was told that even with a partial knee replacement they do not want you to kneel on your knee. Have you been told otherwise??
    John T.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    What kind of fixture do you install. I installed fixtures for Revco and CVS drug stores and know how much time you are on your knees.
    I've done some small farmers market type stores in the past, but recently I have been doing cell phone stores. Starts with a plain box space and 2 days later it is ready to be filled with product. Lots of wall system pieces that mean 3-4 hours on my knees. The No Cry ones do work well for those installs. The floors are all luxury vinyl tile, so no worries about scratching them up.
    I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love.... It seems to me that Montana is a great splash of grandeur....the mountains are the kind I would create if mountains were ever put on my agenda. Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans. Montana has a spell on me. It is grandeur and warmth. Of all the states it is my favorite and my love.

John Steinbeck

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Terefenko View Post
    I was told that even with a partial knee replacement they do not want you to kneel on your knee. Have you been told otherwise??
    My surgeon says it is okay to kneel. The problem normally is the pain associated with kneeling.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Now that getting up is such a chore I don't kneel any more but I found a foam type garden pad about 9" x 18" x 1.5" the most comfortable for me.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Barwalt Tool, (www.barwalt.com, a supplier to the tile industry) has a new knee pad with a single strap. I tried them. They are working well for me, and they are probably the lightest I have ever used. The trade name is Megalight. Rich Enders

I have bought a number of different types over the years, but my most comfortable ones were the first ones I ever owned (still here). They're leather, with thick felt padding. Those only have one "belt", which goes below the knee. Even with the ones that have straps both above, and below the knee, I only use the one below the knee, and even cut the top straps off some.

edited to add: I found them on Amazon, but I think they cost a lot less 40 years ago, when I bought mine.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C44OVRI..._t1_B00G95010E
    Last edited by Tom M King; 08-14-2018 at 7:25 PM.

I agree with Tom King, those single lower straps are best.

I haven't found the best one yet, but my observations having tried many are: I haven't found a two belt pad that the straps don't bunch up on and hurt the back of my knee, stretchy velcro single lower strap is quick, but the design of that strap needs to be narrow or it bunches up, and most importantly the face needs to be wide and rounded so you can move around, no flats or "shoe bottom" prints.

Because they are such a pain, I rarely use them. I do however use some cardboard a lot. Thich stuff, or double stack makes a huge difference.

It seems everyone has a different opinion & I guess I do as well. I've had a total right knee replacement & the left is becoming a serious contender to follow suite, so I appreciate something soft to kneel on.
    Having tried several over the years, believe it or not the best one so far is from Harbor Freight, https://www.harborfreight.com/hard-c...ads-66124.html. I've looked at & tried on several from HD (https://www.homedepot.com/s/?search=knee%20pads), and understand some of these are better quality, yet I've found the HF knee pads (https://www.harborfreight.com/hard-c...ads-66124.html) to be very comfortable, stay in place (don't drop or shift sideways), and I like the wider band secured with Velcro - easier to adjust the fit than a buckle & more comfortable than narrow straps.

Despite the variation in prices, as a homeowner with typical maintenance chores, I don't feel an expensive set of knee pads is necessary. As long as they are comfortable, last a while, and are reasonably priced, I'm good to go with that.

The best knee pads I ever used were the volleyball knee pads I got when I was in high school. They are a fabric sleeve (similar to a Copperfit knee brace) with the pad on the front. They stay up great, are light and super comfortable. They work best on bare legs, so if you wear shorts a lot in the shop you should look into them. They are also relatively inexpensive.

When I tiled my basement floor I used the Dewalt knee pads. They were okay - kind of rigid and not the most comfortable, but adequate.

Plus 2..what Tom King said

My biggest problem with knee pads is the way the straps cut into the back of my knees.
    I'll take the sting and pain in my knees all day long over that nasty cutting type of pain in the back of my knees any day of the week.

Pad type kneelers? Yeah they work great if what you're doing allows you to stay in one spot. If the job you're doing requires any type of moving from spot to spot, they get real annoying real fast.

Duluth Trading also has some very durable paints with provisions for knee pads. If I was in the trades, I'd be all over those given how much stuff I've bought from them over the years!
    I've often thought that some type of glue on or sew on "pouch" that could be stuck on any pair of pants - that would allow you to slip in a pad - would be ideal.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...