Thread: Grizzly 17" Bandsaw Fence and Brake Differences

Grizzly 17" Bandsaw Fence and Brake Differences

Hi all!

It's been a long time since I posted. :-)

I'm looking at the Grizzly G0513X2 bandsaws and have a few questions about the different brake options and the two different cast iron fences.

I've searched the forum, watched videos, and reviewed the Grizzly web site and manuals... and I *think* I understand the differences. I wanted to see if I could get some confirmation.

First, here's my understanding of the brake options...

G0513X2: No brake of any kind.

G0513X2F: Includes a physical brake that is actuated via a foot pedal. When pressed, the foot pedal shuts off the motor and utilizes a brake shoe on the lower wheel pulley to slow the blade. I'm assuming the time it takes to stop the blade is directly proportional to the amount of force applied to the foot pedal. This seems like a pretty good option if you're interested in both safety and production speed. Your hands can remain on the work pieces while you slow and stop the blade as quickly as you'd like with your foot.

G0513X2B: Includes a magnetic motor brake that is engaged when shutting down the machine via its switch. The brake stops the blade within about 3 seconds. This seems like a decent option if you're interested in production speed. I supposed it's safer than no brake, but you still need to take a hand off your work pieces to power off the machine.

G0513X2BF: Includes both a physical brake and magnetic motor brake. When momentarily and/or lightly pressed, the foot pedal shuts off the motor and the magnetic motor brake engages to stop the blade within about 3 seconds. When steady and/or more pressure is applied to the foot pedal, the motor is shut down, the magnetic motor brake engages to stop the blade within about 3 seconds, and the pedal also actuates a brake shoe on the lower wheel pulley to slow the blade. I suppose if you wanted to stop the blade more quickly than the motor brake, you could really stomp on the foot pedal. The benefits are similar to those of the G0513X2F with the added benefit of not having to rely solely on the pressure applied via the foot pedal to stop the blade. One could simply tap the foot pedal and wait up to 3 seconds for the blade to stop moving.

So... did I get all that right?

Now on to the fences...

G0513X2 and G0513X2F appear to have the same fence system. Looks like the fence rail is extruded aluminum and is fixed in place. This appears to be the same fence rail used on the G0513 and G0513ANV. The fence itself, however, is cast iron. The extruded aluminum resaw fence is included. By contrast, the fence included with the G0513 and G0513ANV is extruded aluminum rather than cast iron. And the extruded aluminum resaw fence isn't included with those saws.

G0513X2B and G0513X2BF appear to have the same fence system, which is slightly different than what is included with the G0513X2 and G0513X2F. Looks like the fence rail is perhaps square steel tube and isn't exactly fixed in place. Instead, it appears to be somewhat fixed in the center and drift-adjustable via knobs near the ends of the rail. The fence itself is cast iron and taller than the cast iron fence included with the G0513X2 and G0513X2F. The extruded aluminum resaw fence is included. This fence system, to me, doesn't look like much of an upgrade over the other option. In fact, it seems like it would be rather easy to knock it out of alignment.

Did I get all that right as well?

Thanks a ton!
    Paul Fitzgerald
    Mid-South Woodworker

Yep, you have it correct.

Don't over analyze it if the X2BF is in the budget just get it. I really prefer a saw with foot brake that also cuts power to the motor (I think all new(er) saws do but some older saws don't have the micro-switch). However, the extra $100 is worth it for the better fence and the motor brake IMO. The Grizzly foot brake systems are not as good (read quick to stop) as some of the best foot brakes so the motor brake brings them more in line with the faster brakes. To me it is a no-brainer if the budget allows and this is a representation of Grizzly's pricing structure on their mid-sized saws, they get you looking at the low end and add just enough features that one "has to have" on the next level up to continually creep the budget until you max out a model. Then you start thinking if I am going to spend 1500 on a 17" saw I can spend $130 more and get a 19" saw then the process starts over again until you are looking at their 636 and 701 saws. It reminds me of the trim level steps in cars. Smart business and a consumer budget killer.

As an aside if you decide you don't need any brake then consider the Rikon 18" 10-342 as well and if you keep moving the budget and want a brake the Rikon 10-347 and Laguna 18BX are excellent saws. Both of which go on sale 10% off at many of the major vendors several times a year.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I have the G0513X2. The main fence bar is cast.. The resaw fence is aluminum and nicely designed. It stands up or lays down flat and slides fore/aft on a T-slot. Mounting rails are both aluminum. Not crazy about the scale markings on the front rail.

Dust collection is so-so. Roller guide adjustments are easy to adjust. I had to replace my tires after only a few hours of usage. Might have been the 1" blade I had on it. Table insert plate is light weight plastic. One catch on something round or wet and it'll break. Mine did. Made my own blanks from plywood.

Otherwise, a nice saw. Does what it's suppose to do.

In my mind a brake is a necessity on any saw with large resaw capacity that takes more than a few seconds to stop, but a motor brake is unnecessary and just something more that can go wrong. The foot brake on my G0636X works just fine; maybe it's not as fast as on a MiniMax; I don't know, never seen/used one, but it works just fine; smooth and stops the saw in a few seconds.

John

Good responses so far. I have the X2BF and have been happy with its performance overall. But as a disclaimer, it's my first bandsaw so I don't have experience with anything else to compare it's performance to. I opted for the X2BF specifically for the foot brake option, knowing that my hands would be tied up when resawing large boards (8' lengths 8/4 used for bed rails).

The rail and fence system is okay. I've done a fair amount of resawing on cherry, ash, Doug fir, and red oak using Timberwolf 1/2" and 3/4" 3tpi raker blades. Performance has been good--little to no table vibration with relatively smooth cuts. The DC could be better--I have both ports connected via a wye to a 4" outlet that connects via flex pipe to my 1-1/2hp Jet DC1100A--but really only requires minimal cleanup after each use. The lower thrust bearing seized up after about three years of use so I replaced it with an aftermarket sealed bearing that should last a bit longer.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    The foot brake on my G0636X works just fine;

John
    The 636/701 saws stop faster than the 513/514 saws when braked with similar pressure. I am not sure if it is mechanical advantage, more surface area or higher friction lining material. I have often wondered if replacing the friction material with what I use to reline older bandsaws would make them work quicker but I haven't had the opportunity to try it, plus it is kinda a PITA.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Thanks everyone for the insight! I really don't *need* the G0513X2BF, but it's the one I find myself drawn to. :-)

My table saw is the most used tool in my shop, but I love my bandsaw! I use it a lot more than I ever expected too.

My first bandsaw was a $400 14" open base Delta. If you search my post history, you'll find my saga! It took some persuasion and some cash to reduce the shaking and vibrations. I put about $200 into upgrades right out of the gate.

I think I probably outgrew that saw within about 6 months. I didn't really know what I needed back then. The 3/4 hp motor just couldn't keep up with anything more than the least demanding tasks. Granted, I did do a lot of simple stuff with it and it was fine for those things. There were a few times I wish I had more throat capacity or resaw capacity, but I found acceptable workarounds.

I mostly do stuff around the house. I've built lots of shop projects, some planters, a guinea pig cage stand (and another one planned), shelving and storage cabinets, and stuff like that. I'm really interested in doing furniture, but just haven't taken the plunge. I have also done lots of little boxes and a neat little laminated candle centerpiece, so resaw capability is important to me. I like to resaw my 1/4" and 3/8" material from rough lumber.

I mostly switched between a small blade (1/4") for curves and general stuff and a 1/2" woodslicer blade. Physical space isn't really an issue. I will want mobility, but I don't need to keep the size or weight down.

I could probably get away with another 14" like the G0555X or G0555XH, but the budget creep Van Huskey mentioned started to seep in. At $1150 for the G0555XH, I could spend a little bit more and get a steel frame 14". Heck, for $999, I could get a steel frame 17".

Then I started looking at the differences between the G0513 and the G0513X2-- cast iron wheels and trunnions, bigger table, brake options and I thought... well, I probably ought to try and avoid having to do all this over again, right?

I think the 17" would be a good sweet spot for me. Bigger and more powerful than I think I need so I don't regret not going bigger to begin with. But not so big that it's clearly too much saw for me. The more expensive 17" and the 19" saws are definitely too much saw for me.

It'll probably be a few more months before I pull the trigger. We're selling our house and as long as there are no issues with the contract, we'll need to be out of here at the end of September. Our new home won't be ready until November-ish, so we'll probably need to find a short term rental for a couple months. And to top it all off, that's also about the same time my baby boy is due! Now till the end of the year is going to be crazy!

Thanks again!
    Paul Fitzgerald
    Mid-South Woodworker