Thread: Strange, little saw

Strange, little saw

IF it is a saw..
    IMG_5403 (640x480).jpg
    Metal rod for a frame..
    IMG_5404 (640x224).jpg
    Might be a fun job to replace the blade. Holders are peened over tight.
    11ppi for the tooth count. Was in a bundle of saws I won at an auction back in May.
    Blade is 9" long, 5/8" wide. Has no set. Imagine IF it can be sharpened and set...it might come in handy?

Steven, I inherited a "mini-hacksaw" from my grandfather. I didn't know for sure what it was called until a half dozen years ago when I found some blades that looked like they would fit it at a big flea market. The saw was about 120 miles away in my garage, but I bought the blades anyway because I had never seen blades that looked remotely like they would fit it, so I took a chance, and the price was right anyway.

When we got home I saw that they would fit the saw, the blades are about 6" long, and the box said "mini-hacksaw" blades. Apparantly a factory saw. The saw has a metal rod frame, but it is more carefully made than yours, and was designed for replacable blades. He passed away more than 50 years ago, and the saw must have been old then. Thus that kind of design has been around for a long time.

Stew

Maybe we can have Lowell made a Curly Maple handle for this saw? Maybe where it would fill in around that loop of a handle? Maybe a split type, then glued in place? I don't think Oak would be a wise choice..

When I am allowed to work in the shop, again.....I may try to just set, and sharpen the blade.

Steven,

I was thinking same as you. Might come in handy. I went to the auction site, as I had seen some "Mini-hacksaw" blades there after I bought the single package and knew the tool name. There were some blades for wood that would fit it. Some one now also makes nice hacksaws for that size blade also. Regarding the blades for mine for wood...bit pricy....but the same thought....might come in handy.

Regards,

Stew

Blog Entries
    Might be a fun job to replace the blade. Holders are peened over tight.
    Is the blade installed to cut on the push stroke or the pull stroke?

My guess is on a push stroke the blade might fall off. Maybe a strong grip could also make the blade fall off.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    My curly maple handle is on a D12 Disston. The reason I posted the picture was gloat.
    I still have the saw, as a matter of fact, I have several hand saws. They have all been re-toothed,
    sharpened and some have new handles. If you are interested in such an activity, you might google
    "screwdriver setting saw teeth"

The toughest part of making the handle was coming up with full scale cad drawing. Unfortunately,
    the Hurricane Harvey flood destroyed my computer and I do not have Auto Cad any more. I will
    not pay the price for the software ant more. They have priced it out of sight.

Dassault makes Draftsight available for free --- it's a very useful AutoCAD clone for 2D work.

The Eclipse mini saw is what most above are referring to but the new ones have a plastic handle rather than the bent frame similar to the one that started this thread. I have one that I bought forty odd years ago. Perhaps the OP's saw was home made and used the Eclipse as a pattern.

Doubt IF that saw was "homemade"....might be a small "boning saw" from when he worked on his farm.
    Handle?
    IMG_5409 (640x480).jpg
    Glue up from last night
    IMG_5411 (640x480).jpg
    Sanded to shape, to fit my hands...
    IMG_5412 (640x480).jpg
    Steel frame merits steel bolts, right...
    IMG_5414 (640x480).jpg
    Last night, I used the saw file to file this as a Rip saw.....cuts very fast, easy to start....drifting to one side was operator error...
    IMG_5419 (640x480).jpg
    Wood blank was Cherry. This is after one coat of Amber Shellac.....if the sun ever comes out, I can let it sit and get a sun tan.

Might be a decent little toolbox saw...

Steven,
    There is a small hacksaw that looks identical to yours on the auction site. Type in Rare Wire handled hacksaw.

The blade is also riveted in, so there must have been a problem with the front blade holder on that model. The back mount has a slotted bolt it looks like.

Stew

Methinks this was more for cutting ham bones and the like. The old farmer used to raised cattle and hogs.