Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me identify this hand saw

Help me identify this hand saw

It is one my father had but it would have been new before 1950 I think. I can only read some of the maker's mark on the plate and some of this may be wrong. I have used * for unreadable letters.

Top line in large print, hard to read ***NNTPTAC

In the middle in small print TRAIN

And in the middle pretty clear WARRANTED

And on the bottom in large print and clear NEW HAVEN CON

Blog Entries
    The only tool maker in New Haven Connecticut that comes to mind is Sargent.

http://www.sargenttools.com/About/Our-History/

A picture might help if you can post one.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The Winchester Repeating Arms company made hand saws (and a variety of other tools) for a period of time. They were located in New Haven, Conn. Could the large lettering at the top be “Winchester”? The TRAIN might be Trade Mark, which appeared under Winchester. Take a look at the Winchester 1923 pocket catalog posted at blackburntools.com. May not be the year of your saw, but it does show the lettering style...which might match what you have.
    Last edited by Phil Mueller; 08-13-2018 at 8:11 AM.

Jim and Phil
    The catalogs on these sites are great fun to peruse, but it seems there was another saw maker in New Haven. The saw I have is not in good shape. I am planning to have it sharpened and continue to use it.

Hand Saw.jpg

The etching is not visible enough to show in a photo and unfortunately the logo nut is missing.

Blog Entries
    That is a great saw project.
    I love resurrecting old saws.
    I would keep the handle and saw nuts but I would male a new handle and buy shiny
    brass saw nuts for it.

Disston IMP saw, made for use by a railroad line in the area ( New Haven RR?) for the RR's Maintenance of Way crew.

Except that it doesn't look anything like the IMP. Plus, if it was, you'd see the etch as it was HUGE. Impossible to say who made it from the info provided. The other maker that operated out of New Haven for a while was CE Jennings.

IMG_2838.jpg

Imp skew back.jpg
    IMP saw, by Disston. Was also the saw they would etch to what ever the customer wanted.
    IMG_0954 (640x480).jpg
    Another one...etch says something about Farmer..
    etch.jpgmedallion.jpg

Whatever the customer wanted.....

So much to unpack here. The top saw you post I agree is an IMP, at least the handle. I have never seen one with anything but a straight backed blade though. The rounded handles are the dead give away it is an IMP (like I said, at least the handle), All saws sold as the IMP were marked as such.

The second saw, has a blade clearly marked as a D8. Looks like the handle has Atkins hardware as Phoenix was their second quality line. A couple of your Frankensaws Steven? Neither look like the saw the OP posted.
    Last edited by Pete Taran; 08-15-2018 at 9:15 PM.

More than welcome to take the 3 hr drive down here, and see EXACTLY what each saw is....rather than what you seem to see..which is wrong.

Riddle me this...
    IMG_5416 (640x480).jpg
    Despite the etch saying this IS an Atkins Perfection saw....I suppose you will say it is not, right.

IMG_5417 (640x480).jpg
    A second saw, not to be confused with the other ( plate shape is a dead give away, right?)
    Etch does say something about CRAFTSMAN, and something "Special...."
    IMG_5418.jpg
    Frankensaws...there are none in my shop. Amazing how someone can see 400 miles, and call someone else an idiot. But, I get the feeling you did just that. next you will claim that you actually made these saws.....Maybe the one I have that is etched for a place in Cleveland.....just a little panel saw....George Worthington....might have been your neighbor?

Steve,

I'm only commenting on what YOU posted. The last two pictures show a D8 blade (nothing to do with a farmer, standard D8 etch) and a handle with Atkins hardware. Again, nothing to do with the saw the OP posted, or remotely related to what you said it was. Seems like our issues are you just like to make stuff up, and then when you get called on it, post other stuff unrelated to the original point. No one called you an idiot but you....

For reference, here are your two pictures. Dont need to drive to your place to see a picture and draw a conclusion!

etch.jpgmedallion.jpg

Doesn't do a whole lot, as anyone can take any two pictures, and claim they are from the same saw. I have two Pheonix saws in the shop....neither of which is this saw....need your glasses changed?

Kind of strange, that one picture does not match the other....did you rotate one? Otherwise, I am calling BS.

Just afraid of being proved wrong, is all, ain't it...?

atkins saw.jpg
    Maybe a better view of a REAL Atkins saw.
    IMAG0003.jpg

I seem to recall that "Pheonix" was actually just a plain old Warranted Superior medallion....large eagle...not the Pheonix Bird....

Didn't the IMP saw come in two models? Straight back and a skew? 090 and 091. Selective seeing, perhaps?

I do have quite a few D-8s in the shop, including a 20" long, 10 ppi panel saw...with the 8 inside the D. Well acquainted with D-8 saws

An eagle warranted superior....might have been before Disston added the empty keystone.....

Like I said, make stuff up and then change the subject. <yawn>

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Taran View Post
    Like I said, make stuff up and then change the subject. <yawn>
    Something you are very good at, no doubt

ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

S