Thread: holiday to Toronto and New york

holiday to Toronto and New york

I will be travelling from the Uk to Toronto and New York for a family holiday starting 4th September

Can any members offer advice on things to do and places to eat

regards Brian

This is a really broad question; so much depends on what you like to do! But I will say you will have no trouble finding things to do and places to eat in either city. Theaters, music venues, and museums abound in both places, and you will find restaurants catering to every preference, nationality, type of cuisine, etc. Upscale shopping is everywhere.

Both cities are expensive$$$ so be prepared, although by searching out smaller places that cater to locals you can save a little money.

The waterfront area of Toronto is a favorite of mine.

Lee Valley has several Toronto area locations if you are looking for woodworking related ideas.

If you give us a little idea of the types of activities you enjoy, we can probably be more helpful.

Hi, one of the great things to do is go to the Distillery District, great old buildings, good food and shopping.

http://www.thedistillerydistrict.com/

Paul has some other great ideas in the post above..........Rod.

P.S. Here's a post of mine showing what I made from timbers from the Distillery District

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....th-Douglas-Fir
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 08-14-2018 at 1:33 PM. Reason: Added Post Script

Are you driving or flying from NY to Toronto?
    I don't know much about either city, but a lot about the stuff in between.

And as Paul said, you need to share your interests.

Flying from Toronto to New York

During our time in Toronto we plan to visit the CN tower ,the Distillery District as suggested by Rod and a whole day trip to Niagara

My initial thoughts on Niagra Falls are to hire a car for the day and purchase a pass to visit the attractions. This gives us the flexibility of arriving at the falls earlier than the coach trips and allows us to stay longer It also appears to be a cheaper option and allows us to see more attractions

My son was a member of the United Kingdom junior magic circle I have identified a magic club in Toronto and we will go to one of their shows if possible
    My son also has a school friend who moved back to Toronto from the Uk, they have planned to spend time together to visit sports venues
    I will be visiting the Lee Valley shop with my list

Interets

History, sight seeing, cooking ,gardening ,Shopping I enjoy looking a designer furniture and hand made objects, Farmers markets and local crafts

My wife and daughter enjoy shopping

regards Brian
    Last edited by Brian Deakin; 08-14-2018 at 3:05 PM.

You will undoubtedly enjoy both cities...there's a lot to see and do. Please be aware that food in NYC is going to take a chunk of your budget, however... Nature of the beast!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hire a car in NYC and drive up to Catskill NY to visit Swamp Angel Antiques. Many, many vintage woodworking tools.

Also, Catskills!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Deakin View Post
    Flying from Toronto to New York

During our time in Toronto we plan to visit the CN tower ,the Distillery District as suggested by Rod and a whole day trip to Niagara

My initial thoughts on Niagra Falls are to hire a car for the day and purchase a pass to visit the attractions. This gives us the flexibility of arriving at the falls earlier than the coach trips and allows us to stay longer It also appears to be a cheaper option and allows us to see more attractions

My son was a member of the United Kingdom junior magic circle I have identified a magic club in Toronto and we will go to one of their shows if possible
    My son also has a school friend who moved back to Toronto from the Uk, they have planned to spend time together to visit sports venues
    I will be visiting the Lee Valley shop with my list

Interets

History, sight seeing, cooking ,gardening ,Shopping I enjoy looking a designer furniture and hand made objects, Farmers markets and local crafts

My wife and daughter enjoy shopping

regards Brian
    Hi,
    Since you enjoy farmer's markets, you might check out St. Lawrence Market in downtown Toronto. It's been around long before farmer's markets became a "thing". Not quite like Borough Market in London, but all the same, St. Lawrence has retained an authentic European immigrant atmosphere. Very close to the Distillery District that Rod mentioned. Saturday is a good day to go.
    Edwin