Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shopwoodworking order damaged and wont answer

Shopwoodworking order damaged and wont answer

I placed an order for the new Nancy Hiller arts and crafts book from Shopwoodworking.com which came cut up. Looks like it was the top book in a new case and they used a razor all the way around and sliced it up. I have tried emailing at least 5 times, called another 5 times and even tried multiple different menu selections and never got thru to anybody. Customer service there is non existent. Seems that company is quickly dying. Should have ordered direct from Ms Hiller but didn’t realize at the time that I could.
    Last edited by R Mousel; 08-07-2018 at 3:04 PM.

That's odd. Maybe a chargeback would get their attention.

Quote Originally Posted by R Mousel View Post
    Customer service there is non existent. Seems that company is quickly dying. Should have ordered direct from Ms Hiller but didn’t realize at the time that I could.
    Their customer service has been notorious for many years, and often previous editor Megan, not her job, had to step in to help out after seeing the complaints in forums. To be frank, the publisher seems to focus on quantity rather than quality, and seems to have some set goal in terms of number of titles it has to produce over a period of time.

Someone showed me the latest issue of its magazine last week. It was brutal to see the kind of cover project featured there. That pretty much showed the depth of talent on the bench that they could still draw from. I feel sorry for that magazine to go south in such a manner. The new editorial team is really in a bind, given a job almost impossible to excel at -- but they try hard. The Woodwork magazine closed in great taste (the few issues published under American Woodworker were not in the same league).

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 08-07-2018 at 6:08 PM.

Just dispute the charge with you C.Card Co. and be done with these bozos.

Not worth wasting more of your time with them.

Replying to R. Mousel

I found your post thanks to a Google Alert on my return from two weeks of work-related travel. I was very sorry to read that not only did your book arrive damaged, but you have been unable to get a response from the retailer. That's totally exasperating. While waiting for the powers at Sawmill Creek to establish an account for me (so that I could reply to you), I alerted David Lyell and Andrew Zoellner at Popular Woodworking, as I have found them both to be appropriately concerned by such things AND capable of setting things right. (As one commenter noted, Megan Fitzpatrick established a precedent for such service, even though dealing with such problems was beyond her responsibilities as editor.) I hope that you will be able to get this sorted out now.

Quote Originally Posted by R Mousel View Post
    I placed an order for the new Nancy Hiller arts and crafts book from Shopwoodworking.com which came cut up. Looks like it was the top book in a new case and they used a razor all the way around and sliced it up. I have tried emailing at least 5 times, called another 5 times and even tried multiple different menu selections and never got thru to anybody. Customer service there is non existent. Seems that company is quickly dying. Should have ordered direct from Ms Hiller but didn’t realize at the time that I could.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bouis View Post
    That's odd. Maybe a chargeback would get their attention.
    +1. Give them 3 more business days to respond now that Hiller has interceded. If no resolution, challenge the charges through your credit card company.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Kudos to Ms. Nancy Hiller for stepping up. That is very professional of her to track down this site to respond and try to rectify the problem.
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wolf View Post
    Kudos to Ms. Nancy Hiller for stepping up. That is very professional of her to track down this site to respond and try to rectify the problem.
    What Richard said.

I just read "Making Things Work" and read it and it for me is an accurate portrayal of the trials and tribulations of doing one off woodworking. Loved it. Was glad to know I am not alone.

R Mousel, we're on it. I have the distributor's team looking into this (please send me your full contact info at david.lyell@fwmedia.com). There have been many changes to our shipping and logistics folks over the last year, we'll make this right.

Nice gesture but maybe you could explain why it took this level of intervention to respond to a customer's simple email requests?

Quote Originally Posted by Sanford Imhoff View Post
    Nice gesture but maybe you could explain why it took this level of intervention to respond to a customer's simple email requests?
    This was the OP's experience: "I have tried emailing at least 5 times, called another 5 times and even tried multiple different menu selections and never got thru to anybody. Customer service there is non existent."

The OP was pretty patient; I would have cancelled my credit card transaction after trying that.

But to be fair to Shopwoodworking, MANY websites operate like that because their online sites are often after-thoughts. Some sites have forms for you to fill and you are expected to hear back from them. Some return your inquiries weeks after! I always call if it is something more urgent...sometimes only to be put a voicemail...and if I am lucky, it does not say "The voicemail box is full...!"

There is a reason for Amazon's success.

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 08-13-2018 at 2:29 PM.

I would like to offer another public Thank You to Nancy Hiller for helping me a few years ago when Fine Woodworking magazine staff ignored my questions re an article that Nancy Hiller had authored describing the construction of a contemporary floating bathroom vanity. I needed some very basic dimensions so that I could get a sense of proportion as I prepared to build my own version for our home. I reached out to Nancy via the Internet and she graciously took the time to answer my questions and left the door open to more help if I needed it.

She is a nice lady and I hope she considers staying a while as a member of Sawmill Creek

Great book Nancy. It’s a unique perspective on Arts and Crafts furniture. I’ enjoying it.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Nancy, thank you for looking into this, I had used paypal and let them deal with it. I dont want to badmouth PW, have loved that magazine for years but sad to see a complete lack of service. Shouldnt take a post like this to get any contact. I am also really looking forward to your next book on kitchens. Any updates?

Another great book, Nancy! Thanks for stepping in.

TedP